Our market leading agricultural client has an immediate need for a Strategic Operations Tool Specialist. This is a 6 month contract position located out of their Calgary office. Could this be you?
In this role, you will be part of a team responsible for setting up an operations control center. As part of this team, you will be accountable for overlaying a monitoring strategy over the new applications to ensure they are useful and that the right visibility is provided to the right people from a global strategy perspective while balancing performance and value for the organization.
An individual who:
- Has vast experience in the trials and tribulations of what makes IT monitoring successful. Should be able to challenge ideas and promote ideas based on previous learnings.
- Is a thought leader. Challenge us on ideas, promote thinking and discussion, bring forward previous successes of implementing monitoring strategies. They’ve been there, done that, and can keep us in check.
- Has familiarity with a large breadth of monitoring tools, their functionality, uses and how they can fulfill Nutrien’s IT Monitoring Strategy. They should know about the best technologies out there, and where we may want to focus on a tools or tools.
- E.g. Splunk, CA, Solarwinds, Meraki, TECHMON, BPMON, App Dynamics, various SaaS and Cloud Monitoring Solutions (Cloudwatch, Azure Monitor, etc.), etc.
- This is important and a tough balance to find. Not just looking for someone to write a strategy document, they need to have experienced it before.
- We want to consult this individual on the specific tools/techniques we are using today, and have their guidance to refine what we are doing for the better.
- Is an Expert and provides strategic leadership and thinking in Enterprise Monitoring. Help guide our organization to a future strategy based on industry best practices, while balancing performance and value for the organization.
- Can guide us towards a strategy which is platform agnostic, provides real time understanding of our business and technical health, ensuring we are always up and never surprised.
- Work with senior IT management to plan, design, document, implement and support an enterprise wide framework for effective monitoring of all technology systems. The framework will satisfy the needs of the organization in terms of business, security, reliability and performance.
- Experience in setting up or managing an Operations Control Center, while being able to share the successes and pitfalls of how it functions within a large IT environment
Job Duties & Responsibilities (some may not be required at the forefront, and may be supported by other resources)
- Guides IT and the Enterprise Monitoring to ensure that the systems and network infrastructure for business-critical services are being rigorously and effectively monitored.
- Provide the vision and leadership for Enterprise Monitoring for monitoring of critical systems and network infrastructure to ensure high availability and reduce impact of issues.
- Lead efforts to redesign and implement a more progressive monitoring strategy that meets the evolving requirements in IT as we shift towards more modernized architectures, processes, and technologies
- Manage resource and project prioritization and resource assignment for Enterprise Monitoring. Track and provide status reporting of work assignments, projects, and programs
- Create and drive strategy and standardization of monitoring across the enterprise. Ensure we collect the right metrics at the right frequency and the data is readily available for alerting, reporting, and analysis
- Collaborate with a cross-functional team of dev, ops, and architects to understand complex application architectures in order to design an effective top-down monitoring strategy for holistic service visibility
- Lead the evaluation, selection, design, deployment, and advancement of the portfolio of tools used to provide infrastructure and service monitoring. Ensure tools utilized are capable of providing the critical visibility on modern architectures leveraging enterprise technologies
- Design and maintain a robust strategy for alerting and incident-based collaboration across the enterprise. Leverage modern communication channels and capabilities where possible.
- Build and grow the scope and capabilities of the Enterprise Monitoring resources with a top-down, service-driven focus. Ensure methodologies keep pace with the shifts & transformations taking place within IT.
- Collaborate with IT teams to design and implement a cohesive and consistent visibility strategy and incident response process across the enterprise.
- Set up operations control center and implement a global monitoring strategy as part of the process.
- Ensure KPIs are being met for users as part of the monitoring strategy and generate process improvements as needed.
- Ensure compliance processes are being followed as part of the implementation.
- Facilitate change management practices throughout the course of the implementation.
- Balance performance and value for the organization, while being conscientious of cost.
- Ensure monitoring team increases use of automation and adopts a DevOps mentality
Skills & Qualifications
- An extensive tool kit and knowledge of multiple systems, services, and applications.
- Experience working in IT/Technical application, infrastructure monitoring strategy, and supporting global strategy for enterprise infrastructure, systems, and applications (specifically as it relates to operations).
- Experience with the implementation process from start to finish.
- Experience monitoring servers, applications and components from different cloud providers.
- Experience with performance metrics/KPIs and process improvements.
- Ability to communicate effectively with stakeholders on all levels of the organization.
If you're a technical professional, you know that it can be difficult to find fulfilling work that advances your career. At the Ian Martin Group, we exist to connect professionals like you with meaningful work at industry-leading companies in your field. And we walk the walk, too: as a Certified B Corporation, we believe in using business as a force for good for people, our communities, and the environment.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.