Our client’s Portfolio Delivery team has an immediate need for a Senior Database Administrator to support their environment for Application Maintenance and Development Services. This is a contract position located out of their Edmonton office.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- The Database Administrator shall report to the Manager, Technical Solution Services in Common Services.
- Provide technical expertise in Linux hosted Oracle 10g, 11g, and 12c database management systems to support systems development and operational activities.
- Provide technical expertise in Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and later database management systems to support systems development and operational activities.
- Create and maintain the logical and physical structures of databases and related structures required by Oracle or SQL database applications.
- Monitor database applications, databases and DBMS statistics and make the appropriate changes to improve performance.
- Maintain database authorization requirements.
- Maintain and enforce database security standards and procedures.
- Evaluate application and user requirements and make appropriate database modifications.
- Provide technical expertise to development teams, Application Maintenance Services and business teams.
- Perform troubleshooting activities for database problems, database software problems and database application problems.
- Perform DBMS software installations, plan and test upgrades.
- Plan, test and implement software patches and application updates or upgrades.
- Disaster recovery preparation and testing.
- Develop and maintain technical documentation.
- Develop and automate system related procedures.
- Perform problem diagnosis, troubleshooting and resolution.
- Monitor on-going operations and perform on-going system administration tasks.
- Release new versions.
- Database tuning, capacity planning, historical archiving, database consistency and integrity checking.
- Log file analysis, job scheduling, scripting, indexes, reorganizations, change control, and server requirements analysis.
- Additional responsibilities as required by the Manager.
- Submit regular reports on status and time reporting as prescribed by the Sector.
Skills & Qualifications
- Experience managing a minimum of three projects for a large government organization.
- A university degree in business management or a related discipline and 4 years of related experience, or a 2-year diploma in business management or a related discipline from a recognized post-secondary institution and 6 years of related experience.
- Experience as a Database Administrator working in complex environments (supporting several databases that support over 100 applications).
- Experience installing and supporting Oracle 10g, 11g, and/or 12c database software as a database administrator.
Nice to Haves
- Experience with database migrations between different version/releases and instances.
- Experience evaluating, planning, estimating and communicating software upgrade installation and impact as well as completing database upgrades.
- Experience installing and supporting Microsoft SQL Server 2008 or later software as a database administrator.
- Experience with Windows/DOS, Scheduler programs, and/or PowerShell Scripting.
- Experience with backup administration using Tivoli Data Protection.
- Certification as an Oracle DBA and/or Certification as a Microsoft SQL Server DBA.
- Detail oriented with excellent analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills, including the ability to deal with situations where information is difficult to obtain, complex, or ambiguous.
If you're a technical professional, you know that it can be difficult to find fulfilling work that advances your career. At the Ian Martin Group, we exist to connect professionals like you with meaningful work at industry-leading companies in your field. And we walk the walk, too: as a Certified B Corporation, we believe in using business as a force for good for people, our communities, and the environment.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.