Our client, one of the largest energy suppliers in Canada has an immediate need for a PCN Control Room Designer to provide engineering design, estimating, planning, and quality management services for various projects and operations safely, of high quality, within budget, and on time. This is a 8-month contract located in Burnaby British Columbia.
What you will be doing…
- Develop safe engineering solutions using initiative and judgment to perform activities such as developing designs, analyzing and resolving problems, and interpreting engineering specifications for various projects and operations.
- Propose changes in plans and estimated costs, recommend payment for work completed by contractors, preparing progress reports, coordinating work schedules.
- Participate in the client’s engineering practice by conducting independent studies and analysis, exercising judgement in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs, and making decisions related to standard methods and designs so the client’s engineering standards are maintained.
- Perform periodic tasks including on-site construction quality control and monitoring to ensure design compliance.
- Engage with the client’s senior engineering team over difficult, complex, or unusual problems to support the client’s management of engineering risk.
- Prepare project documentation and deliverables in accordance with the client’s project and Engineering Design Practices (i.e. evaluation reports, specifications, proposals, estimates, design basis', calculations, hazard logs, test plans).
- Prepare design work packages including scope, duration, and level of effort estimates.
What you will need to succeed…
- 4+ years of experience in a relevant engineering field or equivalent.
- University graduate in applied science or engineering
- Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or Professional Geoscientist (P.Geo.) with Engineers & Geoscientists BC or with another jurisdiction and eligible for registration as such with Engineers & Geoscientists BC.
- Familiarity with CAD systems and drawing standards.
- Ability to use standard industry design/analysis software.
- Intermediate MS Office skills (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Intermediate English skills for professional environment, written and spoken.
- Experience with the design of Generation protection and control systems in electrical utility Generating stations (the work is focused on the protection and control systems related to generating units and associated auxiliary equipment).
- Prepare signed/sealed engineering deliverables as a Professional of Record (PoR) in accordance with EGBC and the client’s Design Practices.
- Provide technical assistance and construction support in the field and undertake field reviews as required by EGBC.
- Prepare detailed designs and documentation for protection and control systems in substations with operating voltages from 12 kV to 500 kV in accordance with the client’s and industry standards and practices.
- Providing technical review of designs prepared by others following established practices.
- Prepare reports detailing condition assessment investigations of facility equipment and systems, evaluation and analysis of the investigation, and recommendations to address any deficiencies found.
- Provide technical guidance during equipment installation, calibration and commissioning.
- Prepare commissioning test plans and summary of requirements documentation.
- Provide training for end-users and peers on the theory and operational use of the installed or modified equipment/systems.
Looking for Meaningful Work? We can help!
If you're a technical professional, you know that it can be difficult to find fulfilling work that advances your career. At the Ian Martin Group, we exist to connect professionals like you with meaningful work at industry-leading companies in your field. And we walk the walk, too: as a Certified B Corporation, we believe in using business as a force for good for people, our communities, and the environment.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.