Our Calgary based client has an immediate need for a DevOps Technical Lead to join their team. This would be a nine (9) month contract position located in their downtown Calgary office.
- Masters or Bachelor's level in IT, or Computer Science with relevant experience
- Minimum of 5 years in a role as a senior, hands-on Software Developer in an environment where you were responsible for selecting, implementing, living and optimizing DevOps tools and practices – development and operations
- Experience administering a Linux-based environment (RHEL, CentOS, CoreOS), Docker, container orchestration tools is a plus (e.g., preferably Kubernetes / EKS / OpenShift) and/or MS Azure DevOps.
- Experience working in a public cloud environment —AWS or Azure, or private cloud (e.g., OpenStack)
- Automation experience: Bash/Perl, Terraform/CloudFormation/Ansible, CI/CD with Jenkins, Maven, Github
- You can code in Java (8 & 11) with knowledge of: Spring Boot, Jboss, JMS or, .NET visual Studio.
- Knowledge of monitoring tools such as: New Relic, Splunk, AppDynamics, ExtraHop, Prometheus
- Agile mindset and you like to tackle complex problems and take initiative and responsibility.
- Exceptional communication skills and the ability to initiate conversation
- An intrinsic desire to help others succeed
- A passion for Software Development best practices and DevOps in particular
- Glowing references from former managers and supervisors
Nice to haves:
- Certifications and/or continuing education in Kubernetes, Docker, Jenkins, OpenShift, automated testing, infrastructure as code and other related DevOPs technologies and methodologies. There are, as you know, hundreds of tools that are available from the global DevOps catalogue and the more you know the better.
- You can recite all 7 DevOps Practices and 7 DevOps Habits from memory
- Bonus points if you have an “I ? DevOps” tattoo; a Kubernetes T-shirt earns partial points.
Our DevOps Technical Lead will help us drive substantial, high impact, positive change. The ideal candidate is a hands-on senior software developer with deep expertise in DevOps. The ideal candidate also enjoys mentoring others through the steps to implement new best practices and tools.
This is initially a transformational role rather than an operational role. We need a person that can hit the ground running to begin helping to drive positive DevOps change quickly.
Project team background:
Some key objectives of the entire project team include:
- Lead an enterprise wide initiative intended to identify, evaluate and validate best of breed DevOps tools and processes. We will develop standards and roll out approved tools and processes. We will enable and support the Development and Operational teams through education, training and collaboration to facilitate adoption and operationalization of a DevOps practice and ultimately a platform.
What this role is not:
We are not looking for an “Ivory Tower” architect. We already have fine people in those roles. This is a hands-on, make-things-happen, technical role requiring effective communication skills.
Unique Accountabilities for the DevOps Platform Technical Lead:
You will work within our team serving as our DevOps technical expert helping software development and operational teams to:
- Install, configure, evaluate, demonstrate & implement appropriate DevOps tools
- Analyze, recommend, document and implement best practice DevOps mindset and processes
- Identify training opportunities and recommend training plans for developers and IT operations professionals
- Work directly with key internal clients to:
- Understand unique needs, maturity & objectives of each team
- Identify gaps and opportunities
- Educate stakeholders about DevOps as a whole and technologies specifically
- Work with teams to create action plans designed to achieve defined objectives
- Serve as a partner and primary technical contact to help teams implement tools and processes
- Configuration Management
- Release Management
- Continuous Integration
- Continuous Deployment
- Application Performance Monitoring
- Test Automation
- Infrastructure as Code
- Team Autonomy and Enterprise Alignment
- Rigorous Management of Technical Debt
- Focusing on the flow of customer value
- Hypothesis Driven Development. …
- Evidence gathered in production
- Live site culture.
- Managing infrastructure as a flexible resource.
LOOKING FOR MEANINGFUL WORK? WE CAN HELP!
If you're a technical professional, you know that it can be difficult to find fulfilling work that advances your career. At the Ian Martin Group, we exist to connect professionals like you with meaningful work at industry-leading companies in your field. And we walk the walk, too: as a Certified B Corporation, we believe in using business as a force for good for people, our communities, and the environment.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.