IT Network Engineer
Reports to: IT Infrastructure Manager
Contract Length: 1 year
Enhance, secure, and support an office network, a teleworker network, and the network required to run a set of critical business applications. Take a lead role in the research, design, implementation, and security of networking technologies.
Required technical skills:
- 5 years’ recent working experience in configuring and managing Enterprise WAN and LAN network environments including Firewalls and WAN optimization appliances.
- 4 years recent working experience supporting VOIP telephony. Strong preference for experience with Avaya.
- Progressive knowledge of BGP, MPLS, OSPF, VPNs, VRRP, 802.1x, and LACP.
- Hands on experience with networking physical layer technologies.
- Progressive knowledge of Next Gen Firewalls such as Palo Alto Networks, FortiNet, or Forcepoint. Hands on experience with one in this list is strongly preferred.
- Progressive knowledge of Web Application Firewalls such as Imperva, FortWeb, or ModSecurity. Hands on experience with one in this list would be useful.
- Progressive knowledge of Software Defined Networking and Network Function Virtualization. Strong preference for VMWare experience.
- Hands on experience with logging, monitoring, and alarming technologies such as Wireshark, Splunk, Tenable Nessus, or SolarWinds.
- Network design documentation experience. Good habits in this area are considered important.
- Experience providing level 3 or 4 support to operations teams and end users.
- Experience with mock or real security breach discovery and management.
- College-level Diploma or University Degree in a related field.
- 5 years’ experience in a Network Admin role.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities; i.e. experience taking ownership of problems and working on projects involving multiple resources.
- An understanding of the importance of securing sensitive information as well as ensuring the integrity of the systems being administered;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate and interact effectively with technical professionals as well as users and others who are non-technical experts;
- Strong customer service orientation, with a demonstrated ability to listen and understand, and to establish and maintain effective relationships with users;
- High level of analytical and problem-solving skills, including the ability to follow problems through to resolution;
- Initiative and creativity to develop new approaches or solutions;
- Ability to work independently and take accountability for the quality of work;
- Equally able to work effectively and collaboratively as a team member, sharing information and ideas in a timely manner;
- Ability to plan and manage time effectively, multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines in a fastpaced, time-sensitive environment;
- Ability and commitment to acquire new skills and improve knowledge and competencies.
Other Job Requirements:
- Availability outside of business hours to deploy new code builds and make other network or system changes.
- Availability outside of business hours to help troubleshoot critical production issues.