Our client, one of the largest energy suppliers in Canada has an immediate need for an E3 Cost Engineer who is a fully qualified and accredited engineering professional who can apply theoretical and practical knowledge to provide engineering design, estimating, planning, and quality management services for low to medium complexity projects and operations safely, with quality, within budget, and on time. This is a 11-month contract located in Burnaby British Columbia.
What you will be doing…
Scope & Duties:
- Estimating and planning large capital projects/programs with a focus on rehabilitation work, upgrades and expansions to existing facilities.
- Ensure that work is not only technically correct but also complies with business drivers and goals, standards, policies, practices and processes.
- Working with multidisciplinary project teams (internal or external), including managing the scope, schedule and cost of assigned Work Packages.
- Delivering presentations related to cost estimates to various levels of management.
- Maintaining good relationships with other groups (cross-organizational, cross-function/business unit) involved in the delivery of projects, including other departments, consultants, contractors and suppliers.
- Maintaining knowledge of modern engineering techniques and processes, construction methodology, and keeping up to date with construction cost trends and other factors that affect project costs.
- Being the Professional of Record for engineering documents produced.
- Occasional travel to client facilities located throughout British Columbia.
- Being a work package manager
- Develop safe engineering solutions by using initiative and judgement to perform activities such as developing designs, analyzing and resolving problems, and interpreting engineering specifications on low to medium complexity assignments for projects and operations.
- Assist project or operations management to meet safety, cost, quality, and time objectives by performing activities such as proposing changes in plans and estimated costs, recommending payment for work completed by contractors, preparing progress reports, coordinating work schedules and other similar tasks.
- Participate in the client’s engineering practice by conducting independent studies and analysis, exercising judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs, and making typical decisions related to standard methods and designs so that the client’s engineering standards are maintained.
- Perform periodic tasks independently which may include on-site construction quality control and monitoring to ensure design compliance.
- Engage with the client’s senior engineering team where engineering problems are difficult, complex, or unusual to support the client’s management of engineering risk.
What you need to succeed…
- Must be a P.Eng.
- A valid class 5 driver's license.
- 4+ years demonstrated experience in engineering and construction.
- Utilities experience preferred, must have experience from an owners’ engineering company.
- Experience in estimating costs and scheduling for large industrial or infrastructure projects.
- Experience in site construction projects (both civil & mechanical).
- Open to out of town candidates if they are willing to relocate at their own expense.
- University graduate in applied science or engineering.
- Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or Professional Geoscientist (P.Geo.) with Engineers & Geoscientists BC or with another jurisdiction and eligible for registration as such with Engineers & Geoscientists BC.
- Demonstrated experience in engineering and construction.
- Experience in estimating costs and developing schedules for large industrial or infrastructure projects.
- Excellent (strong) leadership, teamwork, technical writing, analytical, communication and interpersonal skills.
- A Member of AACE International organization and familiar with the AACE’s estimating recommended practices is preferred.
- High proficiency with MS Office (including MS Word, Excel, MS Project & PowerPoint), Primavera P6, and specialist estimating and risk analysis softwares (HCSS, @RISK, EBC or equivalent).
- A valid class 5 driver's license.
- High level of independence.
- Ability to maintain influential relationships within your team (downward mentoring), and with other groups (cross-function/business unit) in order to deliver on your work.
- Initiative and good judgment to develop innovative estimating and planning techniques and apply practical knowledge in the analysis and resolution of problems.
- High adaptability to changing work environments, work priorities, organization needs and principles.
Looking for Meaningful Work? We can help!
If you're a technical professional, you know that it can be difficult to find fulfilling work that advances your career. At the Ian Martin Group, we exist to connect professionals like you with meaningful work at industry-leading companies in your field. And we walk the walk, too: as a Certified B Corporation, we believe in using business as a force for good for people, our communities, and the environment.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.