Our client, one of the largest energy suppliers in Canada has an immediate need for Business Developer to facilitate complex decision-making in support of the design and implementation of business change or improvement initiatives. This is a 12-month contract located in Burnaby British Columbia.
How you will bring value…
You are an expert in business, specializing in fields such as Risk Management, Policy Advisory, Strategic Planning, Business Process Improvement, or Business Transformation. With this expertise you will support the planning and business case development for generation and transmission projects for the client. This is in support of the capital project teams through business case development, decision analysis, risk assessment, and financial analysis. In order to accomplish this, you will be working with internal stakeholders in various departments.
What you will be doing…
- Translate business insights into strategic, actionable options by obtaining and organizing key business information, enabling informed decision-making.
- Facilitate decision-making across diverse groups of stakeholders by using excellent skills in communication, critical thinking, and persuasive influencing to deliver recommendations that align to the business goals.
- Maintain meaningful business relationships by prioritizing strategic considerations in a complex environment with diverse groups of stakeholders so that projects are implemented as planned.
- Plan and organize business initiatives by using expert knowledge in business drivers, risk tolerance, and trade-off processes, to enable successful integration and adoption in the client’s complex and regulated environment.
- Contribute to the development of decision-making standards by using expert knowledge in industry trends and practices, to enable consistent principle-based decision-making at the client.
- Gather and analyze business requirements to support decision-making for business operations and projects.
- Support business case development for complex projects by reviewing alternatives, providing financial analysis, arranging executive review, and securing necessary approvals.
- Respond to inquiries and internal stakeholders´ requests regarding business cases and business case development.
- Develop project timelines consistent with senior management and board of director requirements.
- Ensure that the purpose, justification, and cash flow profile of proposed capital spending is aligned with the capital plan and meets both short and long-term strategies.
- Research, gather, and present supporting information such that project specific business initiatives can be communicated and implemented.
- Liaise throughout the Engineering, Indigenous Relations, Generation and Transmission organizations to support internal stakeholders on expenditures so that Generation and Transmission business strategies and long-term goals are met.
- Apply judgement with respect to the development of project valuation methodologies both qualitative and quantitative.
- Resolve issues, identify and communicate risks, and ensure that appropriate risk management initiatives are identified and implemented.
What you will need to succeed…
- 16+ years of directly related work experience (or the equivalent).
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Law, Finance, Economics, Engineering, or related discipline.
- Advanced English skills for professional environment, written and spoken.
- 5+ years of business development and/or management experience.
- A university degree in a related discipline.
- Master’s degree in Business Administration or Professional Engineering, preferred.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills.
- Ability to develop and manage large scale, highly complex projects.
- Strong understanding of the electric utility business, an asset.
- Ability to easily work with staff of all levels including senior management.
- Knowledge of and ability to use Structured Decision Making, an asset.
- Electrical utility experience.
Looking for Meaningful Work? We can help!
If you're a technical professional, you know that it can be difficult to find fulfilling work that advances your career. At the Ian Martin Group, we exist to connect professionals like you with meaningful work at industry-leading companies in your field. And we walk the walk, too: as a Certified B Corporation, we believe in using business as a force for good for people, our communities, and the environment.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.