Our market leading energy client has an immediate need for a Land Right – of – Way Advisor to act as the primary contact for Landowners on or near the client’s pipeline easements and facilities, building strong collaborative relationships and resolving landowner concerns and inquiries. This individual will also provide Lands and Right – of – Way (ROW) support and advisor services to regional pipeline and facility operations personnel. This is a contract position located in Edmonton.
How you will bring value…
- Responsible for landowner notification and agreements for all regional operations activity, approval, and special conditions for activities conducted on private or Crown and Public lands.
- Lead coordinating role for all Lands and ROW matters pertaining to the pipeline right-of-way which includes leading the negotiations & settlement with landowners/public agencies.
- Be accountable for documenting and supporting land related issues, management and disposal of Land and Land Rights, mitigating negative environmental impact, public relations with private and corporate landowners & tenants, negotiation of damage claims, and interface with Regulatory Agencies.
- Represent the Company to outside stakeholders along the pipeline ROW within the operating region of coverage. This includes but not limited to landowners, municipalities, government agencies, conservation authorities, various associations and the general public.
What you will be doing…
- Accountable to provide Lands and ROW support services for the ongoing pipeline operations and maintenance activities within the region.
- Accountable for the investigation of land related concerns (such as damage claims, encroachment/land use monitoring, contamination/reclamation activities, drainage improvements etc.) to resolve and administer compensation settlements resulting from construction and maintenance activities.
- Follows up on lands related concerns by coordinating between land owners and 3rd party Land Consultants as needed.
- Coordinates land activities by utilizing the Geographic Information System (GIS) tools to gather landowner data and contact points for the Regional Engagement Plan and Public Awareness Programs.
- Coordination of ROW activities in compliance with Provincial and Federal Laws, Acts and Regulations and the client’s policies and procedures.
- Prepare, record and ensure regulatory compliance on land related legal interests; such as surface and sub-surface leases, farm leases, easements, permits, and construction related agreements with stakeholders and third-party companies.
- Responsible to support the research, development, revision, proofreading and commissioning of ROW related legal documents and miscellaneous assignments as required.
- Prepare and coordinate landowner notifications and communication.
- Coordinate land activities with various internal and external stakeholder groups such as Operations, Projects, Law, Environment, Public Affairs and Regulatory.
- Provides quality assurance role to ensure consistency in treatment of Land Stakeholders.
- Coordinates with Engineering, Purchasing and Law to monitor land contracts and work authorizations.
- Maintains required security and confidentiality of information created or encountered in the performance of duties.
- Supports Regional Engagement initiatives including delivering the public awareness education to landowners, municipalities, local contractors, emergency responders and other stakeholders as required.
What you will need to succeed…
- Requires thorough understanding of regional pipeline system, location of facilities and interactions with third party facilities.
- Negotiate compensation and agreements with landowners and 3rd parties with regards to access and maintenance activity on the ROW.
- Independently takes responsibility for varied assignments requiring a broad understanding of the field of Lands and ROW as well as knowledge of interrelated effects of the work upon other areas of business.
- Problem solves by applying standard procedures, modifications to standard procedures, or using methods developed in previous assignments.
- Expected to use awareness of stakeholder relationships as well as broad business and technical knowledge to resolve problems, manage projects, and identify opportunities
Contacts (Working Relationships) (Describe main internal and external contacts the position interacts with, including the purpose, frequency, and nature of the contacts.).
- Manage relationships with landowners within the operating area of coverage. These relationships have a significant impact on the Company’s social license to operate.
- Provides Lands and ROW support to Regional Operations, Public Affairs, Environment, Law, Regulatory and project teams as required.
- Contacts governmental agencies to obtain permits, applications or complete accuracy of data and other permit information as necessary.
- Provides assistance to field employees with land-related issues.
- Undergraduate degree or diploma in land management, administration, and/or equivalent years of post-secondary education and directly related industry experience.
- Fully qualified land professional with a minimum of four years of related right-of-way experience in progressive roles.
- Proficient understanding of the legal issues related to land acquisitions and easements in operating area.
- Ability to interpret applicable legislation, regulations and processes. Equivalencies considered.
- Must be familiar with, and have the ability to interpret legal plans, legal documentation, titles, deeds and engineering drawings.
- Proficient with current information technology including Microsoft Office suite of software, land databases, and geographic information systems (GIS).
- Effective problem solving, project management and decision-making skills.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Expertise in influencing and negotiating in sensitive situations.
- Demonstrated ability to connect with a variety of stakeholders to achieve business goals.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and initiative in dealing with a variety of external and internal customers and stakeholders (regulators, lawyers, industry, government, landowners and internal departments).
- Team-oriented, positive attitude, self-driven and able to work independently.
- Ability to communicate effectively, show flexible decision-making skills and use sound judgement to reach a positive outcome for all parties.
- Share our core values of Safety, Integrity and Respect.
- Valid Class 5 Drivers License
Nice to Haves
- Knowledgeable in pipeline maintenance and operations and experience with landowner negotiations.
- Professional Designation from the International Right of Way Association and/or equivalent designation and/or other real estate or land related background.
Looking for Meaningful Work? We can help!
If you're a technical professional, you know that it can be difficult to find fulfilling work that advances your career. At the Ian Martin Group, we exist to connect professionals like you with meaningful work at industry-leading companies in your field. And we walk the walk, too: as a Certified B Corporation, we believe in using business as a force for good for people, our communities, and the environment.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.