Our client is a leader in providing clean electrical power to the province of British Columbia. They have an immediate need for a Cost Engineer to join their team for a one year contract position.
This position is part of the Transmission Lines and Stations Estimating Team located in Burnaby, BC. This position provides estimating support for capital and maintenance projects and technical guidance as it relates to the estimating discipline. This role includes providing cost estimating, scheduling and construction expertise for a wide variety of transmission lines and substations works including upgrading and new projects for all stages
- As an experienced Professional Engineer, prepares the direct and indirect cost estimates for services, labour, materials and equipment, and the high level schedules for 69kV – 500kV transmission line (overhead, submarine and underground cable) and substation projects during Planning, Identification, Definition and Implementation Phases.
- Gathers information on project scope of work and contracting plans and assists in the establishment of the project work breakdown structure in preparation for estimating.
- Develops and manages the estimating work package or activities for the project, reviews the work packages of others for completeness vs the project scope before incorporating in the project estimate.
- Prepares for, coordinates, conducts or presents estimates at management review meetings or at meetings addressing issues related to estimate/schedule in a project.
- Reviews final estimate package and ensure it meets all the requirements and comments from reviewers prior to final approvals/acceptance of the estimate.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor of engineering degree in the Electrical or Civil disciplines, Preference will be given to candidates with an electrical engineering background
- A minimum Eight (8) years of combined experience in engineering and construction including at least Four (4) years related experience in heavy industrial projects estimating and scheduling working on varied complex utility contracts projects up to or in excess of $100 million in total project value. Preferably this experience is for power utility transmission lines (overhead & underground) and substation related projects.
- Demonstrated proficiency as a senior estimator with a solid understanding of estimating principles and practices, including risk, accuracy, Monte Carlo simulations, market and industry conditions.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with multi-discipline engineering design (electrical, protection and control, civil, geotechnical, etc.)
- Experience in preparing substation conceptual layouts (for electrical discipline) based on single line diagrams.
- Working knowledge of project management principles
- Knowledge of, and experience with estimating and scheduling software, and ability to develop and work with computer models.
- Well-developed leadership, facilitation, negotiation and interpersonal skills.
- Valid Class-5, or equivalent, driver's license,
- A Member of AACE International organization and familiar with the AACE’s estimating recommended practices is preferred
Looking for Meaningful Work? We can help!
If you're a technical professional, you know that it can be difficult to find fulfilling work that advances your career. At the Ian Martin Group, we exist to connect professionals like you with meaningful work at industry-leading companies in your field. And we walk the walk, too: as a Certified B Corporation, we believe in using business as a force for good for people, our communities, and the environment.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.