Our Transmission & Distribution Client is looking for a Project Engineer. Duties of the Project Engineer includes all parts of the design and support of the construction and commissioning phases for both new or modifications to and expansions of existing facilities.
This role reports to the Project Manager on the assigned project. The role of the Project Engineer (PE) can often be described as that of a liaison between the project manager and the technical disciplines involved in a project. The PE coordinates a series of activities or tasks performed by engineers, designers, drafters along the engineering consultant for those projects which have external engineering scope.
Duration: 1 year
Location: Fredericton & Milltown Generating Station, New Brunswick
Project tasks consist of;
- Writing specifications
- Preparing the technical support for project tendering, reviewing vendor proposals and evaluating or selecting equipment and preparing various lists, such as equipment and materials lists.
- Responsible for the delivery of drawings such as electrical, piping and instrumentation diagrams, physical layouts and other drawings used in design and construction.
- When an engineering company is contracted to conduct a study or to design a project; the PE is typically involved in the entire design process and is part of the decision making process throughout, including the type of equipment to use, bid evaluation and supplier selection, the layout of equipment and operational considerations.
- The PE is responsible for establishing project inspection criteria, coordinating the review of project designs and ensuring the proper implementation of project elements.
Job Tasks and Responsibilities
- Preparing, scheduling, coordinating and monitoring the assigned engineering projects
- Monitoring compliance to applicable codes, practices, QA/QC policies, performance standards and specifications
- Develop the specifications for all equipment that is required for each project
- Establish the methods by which all field tests are administered and develop various ways to monitor the quality of those tests
- Monitor compliance to applicable codes, practices, QA/QC policies, performance standards and specifications
- Perform overall quality control of the Engineering scope of work and report regularly on engineering project status
- Cooperate and communicate effectively with project manager and other project participants to provide assistance and technical support
- Review engineering deliverables and initiate appropriate corrective actions
- Processing submittals and other necessary project documents.
- Shop drawing/submittal review and coordination.
- Participation in/documentation of project coordination meetings.
- Review/negotiate change proposal pricing from contractors.
- Research and suggest options on construction means, methods and equipment.
- Responsible for completion of As-Built drawings.
- Engineering Quality control and project closeout.
- Analyzing and resolving field construction issues.
- Prepare, review and distribute Request for Clarifications (RFC) & other associated documents as directed.
- Prepare meeting Agendas and minutes for all Project Engineering meetings.
- Ensure company procedures and standards are maintained.
- Assists the Project Manager in preparing Project Plan.
- Prepares work plans, schedules and budgets for the engineering portion of the Project in conjunction with Discipline Leads for submission to the Project Manager for approval.
- Ensures that engineering work on the Project is completed in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Takes corrective action where necessary to control engineering work within budget and schedule.
- Prepares reports as required by the Project Manager.
- Keeps the Project Manager informed of issues encountered and that may arise in the Project.
- To carry out designated work packages within defined projects to standards of safety, cost, quality and time.
- Where appropriate, contribute to the development of budgetary procedures, specifications and safety documentation.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering
- Minimum of four (4) years’ work experience in related field and project planning experience
- Possession of a valid driver’s license is mandatory
- Proven working experience as a project engineer
- Ability to work with multiple discipline projects
- Proven track record, demonstrating the ability to manage design packages and teams
- Well-developed interpersonal skills are necessary in order to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing requirements to a wide range of client groups (internal and external).
- Self-motivated, ability to work independently or in a team environment and provide leadership, support, direction, and consultation to a wide range of people.
- Ability to manage multiple initiatives with strong organizational skills to meet project deadlines.
- Familiarity with rules, regulations, best practices and performance standards
- Detail-oriented with strong analytical and problem solving skills with ability to organize, analyze and report on various parameters.
- General knowledge of construction principles/practices
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook)
- Knowledge of design and visualisations software such as AutoCAD •
- Field management experience a plus
- Willing to travel, participate in activities, network and build relationship