We are currently requesting resumes for the following position: Project Engineer
Resume Due Date: Friday December 13, 2019
Number of Vacancies: 11
Duration: 2 years
Project: Darlington Station Roof(s) Replacement, Darlington Water Treatment Plan
- Undertake the organizing, coordinating and controlling of all stages of project engineering for assigned projects or project packages from inception and approval to final acceptance, or its transfer to a dedicated project unit, as circumstances dictate.
- Provide coordination and assistance in the preparation of preliminary project studies and reports, and in the preparation of submissions to senior management, the Executive Office and the Board of Directors, for project approval and the release of funds.
- Initiate and coordinate estimates and project performance specifications.
- Monitor, evaluate and report on cost and schedule changes.
- Provide appropriate departments and agencies with detailed project requirements, interpreting and discussing with personnel involved as required.
- Arrange for application to, and negotiate with, agencies, internal and external, for all necessary approvals, licenses, permits or clearances required.
- Coordinate the clarification of design and specification requirements, and arrange for necessary changes.
- Co-ordinate and monitor the preparation of specifications, requisitions, evaluation of tenders, purchasing recommendations, and contract administration.
- Arrange meetings as required to coordinate requirements and progress between design, suppliers, construction and operations.
- Maintain close liaison with field construction and operation on matters involving design, schedules, costing, and other related issues.
- Initiate, coordinate, arrange and control supporting services to other departments and external organizations.
- Provide immediate and higher management with appropriate reports on work packages.
- Review detailed cost variance reports, provide explanations and recommendations for over or under expenditures, and take corrective actions when required.
- Execute other project management functions as required by corporate policies and procedures.
- Meet with consultants, suppliers, and contractors before and after contract awards to interpret requirements, review progress, obtain cooperation and coordination in projects, and discuss ideas.
- Prepare and coordinate the preparation of all information pertinent to an assigned project required for input to the generation planning process and/or alternative to be considered. Prepare and coordinate the preparation of project assessment reports.
- Maintain liaison with concerned internal and external groups, regulatory bodies and agencies, and cooperate in exchange of engineering and other relevant data as required to meet the project objectives.
- Arrange and as appropriate, chair meetings involving group(s) concerned with a given project.
- Guide and direct discussions involving internal staff, contractors, manufacturers, suppliers and the like, in an effort to efficiently and effectively meet project objectives.
- Visit various site locations, manufacturers, suppliers, and the like.
- Be prepared to observe plant sites and installations in Canada and outside the country to observe techniques, equipment, etc.
- Provide input as required, and utilize knowledge gained for Ontario Power Generation application.
- Keep all project parties informed of latest capital construction and other corporate procedures.
- Review and maintain awareness of all corporate procedures pertinent to project control and administration.
- Communicate with appropriate departments and areas to ensure availability of current practices on budgeting, estimating, scheduling, etc.
- Participate in programs to dispose of surplus equipment which become available, consequent to cancelled construction projects, such as unused turbines, generators and the like.
- Meet with potential buyers and attempt to influence same to accept such equipment in lieu of other purchases.
- Maintain an awareness of technological advancements in engineering and construction fields.
- Review technical publications and other literature.
- Communicate with engineering counterparts internally and externally to discuss views on improved designs, products, methods and techniques.
- On a periodic basis, where dictated by circumstance, be responsible for the supervision of engineers and technicians. Recommend to Supervisor the assignment of engineers or technicians. Assemble job information and plan work as necessary.
- Assign portions of the work, and provide advice and direction as required. Check and assume responsibility for the work issued.
- 5+ years of experience.
- Requires a knowledge of engineering as related to design requirements for proposed major facilities and components.
- Requires a knowledge of physics, engineering, mathematics and chemistry as related to stress, materials and total system performance.
- Requires a knowledge of economics to provide cost estimates and cost trends concerning generating station construction and operation.
- Familiarity with OPG's Engineering/Procurement/Construction contract model is an asset.
- This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired either through the successful completion of a four year university education in an appropriate engineering field or by having the equivalent level of education.
- Requires experience in planning and development aspects of electrical power plants to become familiar with generating station design and associated components.
- Requires experience in a generalized but related industry to appreciate manufacturing and supply techniques. Requires experience to solve problems, provide guidance and initiate studies, designs and economic forecasts.
- Requires experience to understand the interrelationship(s) of various internal and external groups in order to facilitate objectives.
- Requires experience and knowledge related to environmental protection and associated concerns. Requires experience in project management.