Reporting to the Project Controls Manager, the Estimator will be the internal subject matter expert, (consisting of project estimating, historical cost database development and maintenance, and benchmarking) provides expertise to capital projects within the global Base Metals business. The incumbent will act as key representative of the Project Group in this discipline and is responsible for Governance over all capital projects (throughout the FEL stages and execution) and project services personnel.
- Responsible for Capital Cost Estimating practices and the review and approval of CAPEX on all capital projects.
- Accountable for the configuration, set-up and maintenance of project management software tools, estimating tools, being deployed on projects
- Hold a governance role as part of the North Atlantic Project Group management team to ensure that Capital Cost Estimating is effective and part of the cohesive structure of the NAPG
- Responsible to ensure that Capital Cost Estimating on major capital projects in study or execution phases are developed, managed, maintained, and reported in accordance with corporate policies and project procedures.
- Maintain governance and oversight in the area of project setup and project execution planning.
- Key participant in Alignments Sessions, QA Reviews, Peer Reviews, and Tollgates during the project study and execution phases to ensure a high level of Capital Cost Estimating quality on projects Reporting project cost to management team for internal reviews, as well as analyzing cost variances and recommending corrective actions to the projects.
- Develops and maintains a database of historical project cost information.
- Evaluate scopes of work, WBS and EBS, quantity takeoffs, assumptions, inaccuracies, design growth, and contingencies developed on capital projects.
- Review the Project’s Estimate Plan and Basis of Estimate and provide appropriate recommendations.
- Participate in Risk analysis sessions to contribute aspects of CAPEX and OPEX risk and ensure the integrity of Monte Carlo simulations for the development and incorporation of risk elements into all project estimates.
- Review all project estimates prior to submission of study for Tollgates and reports on integrity of the estimate in the Tollgate reports.
- Analyze cost reports and prepare cost comparisons as deemed necessary and provide guidance to project managers and senior management.
- Review PCRs and APCs to ensure the integrity of the approved baseline estimates and the methods of change management.
- Benchmarking of CAPEX against other similar projects internally and externally is aligned with industry standards.
- Participate in Project Close Out sessions to help identify Lessons Learned and work with NAPG team to update or develop standards or procedures.
- 5+ years of relevant estimating experience on large capital projects
- The ability to absorb complex information and assess requirements readily
- Computer literate
LOOKING FOR MEANINGFUL WORK? WE CAN HELP
If you're a technical professional, you know that it can be difficult to find fulfilling work that advances your career. At the Ian Martin Group, we exist to connect professionals like you with meaningful work at industry-leading companies in your field. And we walk the walk, too: as a Certified B Corporation, we believe in using business as a force for good for people, our communities, and the environment.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.