Based in St. John, NL
Reporting to the Supervisor, Procurement
Responsible for purchasing materials, equipment, and services for operations, aiming to assure the supply of items for business continuity, at the lowest total cost of ownership possible, achieving industry best practice standards of delivery time and quality of products and services. This is a key role to refine and implement related aspects of the operational readiness plan. The operational readiness phase is expected to last 24-30 months.
- Plan purchases, defining supply terms and strategies.
- Participate on the elaboration of materials and service purchase planning along with stakeholders, through the use of market information, consumption history, etc.
- Establishing priority of purchase demands through the consolidation of information, such as criticality of the categories, as well as analysis of the market.
- Elaborate and propose procurement strategies for assigned categories, seeking to aggregate spend, guarantee supply and foster innovation, to maximize the benefit to the company.
- Analyze portfolio in order to generate and execute a sourcing plan for technical purchases, according to company’s timeline.
- Understand suppliers’ facilities and production processes.
- Understand the facilities and production process with the goal of identifying supply chain opportunities.
- Work with departments (internal customers) in the development and approval of new suppliers and products.
Lead/Execute procurement processes, including:
- Participating in competitive bidding preparation processing
- Commercial evaluation of proposals, including value analysis, TCO (total cost of ownership) and business case analysis
- Contract negotiation
- Documentation (control)
- Implementation of legal contracts when required
- Monitor and analyze various variables (market indices, demand and total cost) in order to identify and mitigate risks or capture market opportunities.
- Recommend competitive suppliers in alignment with category strategies, and stakeholders (vendor management area, requisitioning area, safety, etc).
- Map supply chain and existing document controls to facilitate the operational integration with suppliers, through documented contracts.
- Participate on multi function teams to execute purchasing, aiming to meet internal customer needs (quality, terms etc.), specifications improvement, monitoring tests of new materials and their post-acquisition application by users.
- Carry out supply market evaluations, identifying opportunities, weaknesses, strengths, threats, by performing market benchmarking, seeking continuous improvement.
- Information collection, critical analysis, developing and implementation plans for suppliers in potential risk (like insolvency, breach of contract)
- Interface between customers and procurement for resolution and mitigation of risk of claims from suppliers
- Participate meetings with the users with the objective to capture future demands that will impact the operation and the stock level, identify not existing items and revise criticality of stock items.
- Build and maintain relationship with the users and suppliers, acting in the complete supply chain.
- Monitor KPI of all activities performed.
- Create data analysis and performance optimization tools of the operational activities of the area.
Procurement Support Activities:
- Follow up activities related to procurement area as for analysis, support and implementation of projects.
- Create and develop control reports, research and other activities.
- Analyze and suggest implementation of new information systems involving area of responsibility.
- Identify potential improvements in the procurement process.
- Create support tools for the procurement process.
- Perform internal and external benchmarking.
- Analyze indicators, bottle neck mapping and process improvement mapping.
- Request or recommend Vale’s stakeholders to participate in external meetings involving business associations, public and private entities.
- Maintain relationship with current and future suppliers, supporting the access of tools and opportunities developed to suppliers.
- Coordinate, develop and implement tools to support supplier development.
- Contract Management
- Assure availability of goods and services that demand continuous supply through follow up of the existing contract execution
- Lead meetings with customers to evaluate the performance supply
- Lead meetings with suppliers to evaluate the supply performance of the categories involving DISU and create action plans to address issues.
- Develop and measure key performance indicators to understand key supplier’s performance involving categories.
- Handover of negotiated contracts to customers before implementation of new contracts.
- Manage system and supplier issues data base, based on information provided by Line of Business, and create reports for analysis.
- Create and follow up action plans to solve the main issues identified in the system and supplier issues report.
- Refine and implement procurement-related aspects of the operational readiness plan, including the assessment of new contracts or amendment requirements associated with new or additional goods and services required to support underground operations.
- Understand and comply with policy, procedures, codes of conduct, and legal requirements including the Impacts and Benefits Agreements commitments
- Frequent travel to a northern Labrador site and occasional travel to other locations is required
- Undergrad Degree- Business or Commerce preferred
- CPP certification is an asset, Certifications through purchasing Management Association of Canada an asset
- 5 to 7 yrs experience
- Strong Knowledge of procurement principles and related laws
- Working knowledge of sales tax, customs procedures as well as duty and transportation options is an asset
- Knowledge of supply chain and inventory methodologies and general knowledge of underground mining, and concentrator processes is an asset
- Experience in Operational Readiness is an asset
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Strong negotiation and project management skills
- Creative problem solver and able to respond to various situations with appropriate urgency
- Detail oriented
- Intermediate skills in MS Office
- Knowledge in SAP
LOOKING FOR MEANINGFUL WORK? WE CAN HELP
If you're a technical professional, you know that it can be difficult to find fulfilling work that advances your career. At the Ian Martin Group, we exist to connect professionals like you with meaningful work at industry-leading companies in your field. And we walk the walk, too: as a Certified B Corporation, we believe in using business as a force for good for people, our communities, and the environment.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.