Our client, one of the largest energy suppliers in Canada has an immediate need for a P&C Maintenance Engineering Consultant who be responsible for providing technical support for the protection systems, excitation systems, in plant communication systems and instrumentation equipment for client’s hydroelectric generating stations.
This is a 24-month contract located in Vancouver, British Columbia.
Specialist Engineer is a professional engineer or geoscientist who applies engineering knowledge to provide engineering, estimating, planning, and quality management services for medium complexity projects and/or operations safely, with quality, within budget, and on time. This engineer will provide project support for various NERC standard projects.
Experience and Role Accountabilities
- A minimum eight (8) years of experience in a relevant engineering field or equivalent.
- Develop safe engineering solutions by using initiative and judgement to perform tasks including developing designs, analyzing and resolving problems, and interpreting engineering specifications on medium complexity and scope assignments for client projects and operations.
- Assist project or operations management to meet safety, cost, quality, and time objectives by proposing changes in plans and estimated costs, recommending payment for work completed by contractors, preparing progress reports, coordinating work schedules and other similar tasks.
- Resolve highly technical and unusual design and field engineering problems by conducting independent studies and analysis, exercising independent judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs to support successful operations and/or project completion at client.
- Participate in client’s engineering practice by conducting independent studies and analysis, contributing to the development of technical standards, exercising judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs, and making decisions related to methods and designs as well as providing guidance and advice to other engineering professionals to develop future capability at client.
- Deliver exceptional customer service by communicating with stakeholders and performing activities such as defining the scope of engineering/geoscience services to be provided, establishing the basic design criteria with the client, approving all related technical documentation, and assessing and reporting on work progress against standards, objectives, and specifications to support completion of projects safely, with quality, within budget and on time.
What you will need to succeed…
Additional Experience and Responsibilities:
- This role requires experience with the design of Generation protection and control systems in electrical utility Generating stations.
- The work is focused on the protection and control systems related to generating units and associated auxiliary equipment.
- Prepare project documentation and deliverables in accordance with client project and Engineering Design Practices (i.e. evaluation reports, specifications, proposals, estimates, design basis', calculations, hazard logs, test plans).
- Prepare design work packages including scope, duration, and level of effort estimates.
- Prepare signed/sealed engineering deliverables as a Professional of Record (PoR) in accordance with EGBC and client Design Practices.
- Provide technical assistance and construction support in the field and undertake field reviews as required by EGBC.
- Prepare detailed designs and documentation for protection and control systems in substations with operating voltages from 12 kV to 500 kV in accordance with client and industry standards and practices.
- Prepare detailed design packages (equipment layouts, single line diagrams, ac/dc schematics diagrams, cable schedules, wiring diagrams, material lists, external connections) required to install or modify equipment, including interfacing to the existing station systems, ready to issue and archive in the client Drawing file system.
- Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or Professional Geoscientist (P.Geo.) with Engineers & Geoscientists BC or with another jurisdiction and eligible for registration as such with Engineers & Geoscientists BC.
- Intermediate English skills for professional environment, written and spoken.
- Familiarity with CAD systems and drawing standards.
- Ability to use standard industry design/analysis software.
- Intermediate MS Office skills (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
Nice to haves
- P.Eng. is preferred,
- Candidate who is currently located in Vancouver is preferred.
- Experience working with one or more of the following NERC standards is an asset – PRC-019, MOD-025, MOD-026, MOD-027, VRA-501-WECC-3.1.
Looking for Meaningful Work? We can help!
If you're a technical professional, you know that it can be difficult to find fulfilling work that advances your career. At the Ian Martin Group, we exist to connect professionals like you with meaningful work at industry-leading companies in your field. And we walk the walk, too: as a Certified B Corporation, we believe in using business as a force for good for people, our communities, and the environment.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.