The Ground Control Engineer is part of the Technical Services – Engineering Team. The incumbent will initially play a key role in the development of the Operational Readiness Plan, for the future underground mining operations. Specifically, this role will be required to provide ongoing input to the design and construction details of the mine expansion, as well as develop/update Ground Control & backfill procedures and practices for the underground mine
The Senior Engineer – Ground Control performs tasks with some supervision, set deadlines, responsibilities, monitors, and summarizes progress of the mining activities and rock mass response to mining in underground operations and/or in geomechanical projects for the mining operations. They will also ensure that health and safety standards are met, legislated requirements are satisfied, and strategies for improving safety and profitability of the mine are provided.
This is a permanent position based at a Northern Labrador Mine site, on a two week on, two week off rotation with an initial assignment in the St. John’s Project Office.
- Participate in the development of procedures/standards related to the field of ground control;
- Provide technical support, advise and assist the mine operators and technical staff regarding ground control strategies and methods;
- Compile information of geological structures and undertake geological mapping in both underground and open pit operations;
- Perform stability assessments and advise on potential adverse ground conditions for both the underground openings and the pit walls using both empirical and numerical modeling tools;
- Ensure compliance with ground control related regulations, policies and standards at both underground and open pit operations;
- Recommend action to ensure that safety and stability of underground mine excavations and pit walls are maintained with respect to geotechnical and legislated requirements;
- Develop solutions with respect to day-to-day ground control issues based on field observations or operation reports;
- Evaluate mining proposals and layouts to ensure conformity with ground control practice and established procedures;
- Complete geomechanics project work involving mining methods, stope and pillar design and mining sequencing for underground and/or surface deposits;
- Respond rapidly to ground control issues and failures as required. Complete appropriate reporting and initiate action plans that will remove potential future hazards both in the affected area and similar areas;
- Regularly monitor the ground control work, including Q/A and Q/C of ground support installation in the underground operation;
- Install and develop ground movement monitoring program by using instrumentation;
- Support the Project team to: carry out task observations, provide training on cementing/shotcreting methods, draft technical memos and develop paste backfill testing and design, etc.;
- Update and maintain the Ground Control Management Plan with inputs from various departments at the mine site;
- Interact with and manage consultants as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mining Engineering o Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Mining Engineering, specializing in Rock Mechanics/Geotechnical Engineering would be considered an asset.
- Professional Engineering (P.Eng.) designation is required.
- A minimum of 5-7 years of Geotechnical Engineering and/or underground mining experience is required.
Knowledge and Skills:
- A good understanding of basic rock mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering principles, assessment techniques, remedial methods, instrumentation and products.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work closely with several departments, including: Operations, Environment, Mines Technical Service Department and Project team.
- Geomechanical numerical modeling and ground control instrumentation knowledge would be an asset
Looking for meaningful work? We can help!
If you're a technical professional, you know that it can be difficult to find fulfilling work that advances your career. At the Ian Martin Group, we exist to connect professionals like you with meaningful work at industry-leading companies in your field. And we walk the walk, too: as a Certified B Corporation, we believe in using business as a force for good for people, our communities, and the environment.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.