The Ventilation Engineer coordinates mine ventilation activities across the site. The role will support integration of the long-range ventilation designs into the 4-24-month ventilation planning and support creation of the ventilation strategy. This will include appropriate technology and completing required analysis to optimize the existing ventilation systems and create business cases to support the recommended strategy for the operations.
Initially, the Ventilation Engineer will play a key role in the development of the Operational Readiness plan for the future operation. Specifically, this role will be required to provide ongoing input to the design and construction details of the mine expansion, as well as the develop ventilation systems and operating procedures and practices for the underground mine.
This is a permanent position based at a northern Labrador site, on a one week on, one week off rotation with an initial assignment in the St. John’s Project Office.
- Develop business cases, as assigned, that incorporate new technology and ventilation strategy into current ventilation designs including the impact on production/opex/capex;
- Lead projects to optimize ventilation systems and projects to improve the workplace environment;
- Create mine ventilation designs using numerical modeling tools while ensuring continued communication with the Vent Design Group and Ventilation Specialist;
- Integrate the ventilation portion of the Mine Design with the Ventilation Planning 4-24-month requirements and support the work of the Integrated Operation Schedule team;
- Support work on ventilation standards, guidelines, design basis;
- Communicate with site Ventilation Specialist as to potential technology that is recommended to support the 0-24-month Ventilation Plan and execution of that plan;
- Ensure good engineering principles are applied to designs and consider safety of employees within the design;
- Support Base Metal FEL3 studies, as required, with participation on drawing and document reviews;
- Provide training to foster skills and competencies within the ventilation team and others as required;
- Supports site Ventilation Specialists with mine ventilation models to ensure they are up-to-date and calibrated;
- Communication of ventilation issues to varying audiences, including stakeholder groups to senior leadership.
- Bachelor of Engineering (Mining or Mechanical disciplines preferred) combined with a Professional Engineering (P.Eng.) Designation.
- A minimum of 8-10 years of experience in a related role in an underground mining environment.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Underground mine design, ventilation, scheduling, and understanding of mining activities.
- General knowledge of engineering planning software.
- Knowledge of ventilation modeling software (VNET, CLIMSIM, MineFire) is recommended.
- Strong communication skills and development of concise documents and presentation materials.
- General knowledge of construction planning, experience with electrical design and infrastructure
- Knowledge of cash flow modeling techniques and economics is an asset.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and familiar with spreadsheet manipulation in Excel.
- Be creative, not only use best and past practices but promote new ways of doing things to maximize the efficiency of ventilation systems to support economic mine designs.
Looking for meaningful work? We can help!
If you're a technical professional, you know that it can be difficult to find fulfilling work that advances your career. At the Ian Martin Group, we exist to connect professionals like you with meaningful work at industry-leading companies in your field. And we walk the walk, too: as a Certified B Corporation, we believe in using business as a force for good for people, our communities, and the environment.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.