Our transportation client, located in Mississauga, ON, seeks a new Head of IT on a 12-18 month term assignment beginning immediately.
This position exists as a result of an acquisition and ongoing merger of companies.
The Head of IT has ownership for the iteration and execution of the IT strategy, ensuring it aligns with the IT and business strategy for the wider Parent company, and delivery of all information and technology capabilities required to achieve business goals. As a member of the local leadership team, the Head of IT participates in and contributes to overall business strategy and operations in conjunction with all business functions. The Head of IT brings a current knowledge and future vision of leveraging information and technology, with focus on execution of strategic application and infrastructure projects.
Essential Functions / Responsibilities
- In support of local and global business and IT strategy, determines the local operating model for information and technology to foster business-oriented and digital-ready culture, mindsets and practices
- Contributes actively to enterprise strategy and business capability strategic planning. Leads the development of the local IT strategic plan and roadmap. Ensures integration with the global strategic planning process, and the resulting business strategy and plans
- Establishes active relationships with senior executives and members of their teams
- Ensures IT capabilities are delivered reliably, sustainably, cost effectively and securely. Ensures the IT contributions are delivered with agility based on changing business objectives, goals and strategies
- Directs the IT operating model, organizational structure, and governance process. Uses influencing and negotiation skills to identify and execute synergies across the enterprise to enable cost-effective and innovative shared solutions in achievement of business goals
- Provides strategic direction and oversight for the design, development, operation and support of IT systems and programs that fulfill the needs of the business, including architecture management, application management, security and risk management, and infrastructure and operations support management
- Develops and controls annual operating and capital expenditure budget for IT to ensure the investment in technologies is consistent with the enterprise’s overall strategic objectives and is within plan
- Enhances IT’s capabilities by leveraging a multitude of resources, both internally and externally, including oversight of strategic vendor and partner relationship management
- Partners with HR to continually look for leading-edge and innovative solutions for the recruitment, development and retention of the IT workforce
- Develops and maintains an IT workforce with the appropriate mix of business knowledge, technical skills and competencies. Balances the need for growing the agility required to achieve business objectives, with ensuring the core IT functions are reliable, stable and efficient
- Provides leadership, coaching and direction to the IT leadership team and staff
- Directs key strategic projects and workstreams, including appropriate allocation of resources to achieve project goals
- Lead business initiatives and project teams focused on achieving operational excellence to drive growth, including gap analysis and development activities relating to the integration of acquired businesses
- Ensure appropriate processes and resources are in place to maintain the Product Backlog(s), prioritizing and sequencing the Backlog according to business value or ROI
- Build, develop and maintain appropriate processes and procedures, including process metrics, and drive continuous improvement against key metrics
- Ensure that operational processes are documented and maintained in the context of their application within IT systems
- Roll out of new IT systems and processes across the organization, following up with end users to ensure correct use of systems
- Ensure a high-quality support service is delivered, including effective incident, problem, release and change management
- Communicate status externally using agreed and appropriate tools, managing and informing key stakeholders
- 15 years or more of experience in either business areas or within IT
- 5+ years of IT leadership responsibilities, with proven experience in business applications, infrastructure and telecoms
- Experience in complex, multi-national environments with multiple stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience in strategy execution through project and program delivery
- Proven experience or demonstrated capability in leading large, complex and/or transformatlve initiatives in dynamic environments
- Ability to work in a challenging and fast paced environment, leveraging current knowledge and demonstrating strong problem-solving skills
- Excellent organisation, problem solving, communication, prioritization and facilitation skills
- A strong people focus with the ability to lead, develop and motivate a team of circa 12 people across multiple locations
- Exposure and proven ability to negotiate, present and communicate with senior business leaders
- Strong budget planning and financial management knowledge
- Ability to work collaboratively and constructively with other functions, particularly in a transformational environment
- Able to work in challenging circumstances, e.g. turnaround
Nice to Have Skills
- Understanding of 6sor equivalent Quality methodologies
- Project Management qualifications
- Knowledge of Salesforce
- French language
Looking for Meaningful Work? We can help!
If you're a technical professional, you know that it can be difficult to find fulfilling work that advances your career. At the Ian Martin Group, we exist to connect professionals like you with meaningful work at industry-leading companies in your field. And we walk the walk, too: as a Certified B Corporation, we believe in using business as a force for good for people, our communities, and the environment.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply.
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.