We are currently requesting resumes for the following position: Design Engineer
Resume Due Date: Thursday September 24th 2020 (5:00PM EST)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Duration: 12 months
Responsible for providing design engineering support pertaining to the Advanced Continuous Online Monitoring (COLM) Program Development. As part of the Advanced COLM Program, new monitoring technologies will be deployed at both Pickering and Darlington sites to support equipment condition monitoring and subsequently enhance OPG’s Equipment Reliability Program and Maintenance Program Optimization. In the role of Design Engineer (DE), the successful candidate is expected to cover the following typical design engineering activities:
- Provide technical and process support to field work.
- Initiate, prepare, and issue all required design documentation.
- Prepare design, calculations, design bills of material and address design related field issues.
- Provide advice and/or direction to Design Leads, review designs and sign Field Initiated Changes.
- Perform field inspections, acceptance and approvals.
- Prepare Design Change Packages such as Modifications, Temporary Modifications and other tasks.
- Maintaining written documented processes and procedures to reflect improved operating methods and additions to all supported systems.
- Work collaboratively with vendors to accept vendor designs and changes.
- Support engineering acceptance of modification turnovers.
- Understand impacts on cost and schedule, and provide support to minimize impacts driving projects;
- Gather input from stakeholder departments and agencies to ensure project requirements are captured and detailed in the project documents.
- Maintain process compliance during project execution.
- A non-exhaustive list of expected Detailed Design Engineering Packages to support the following monitoring use-cases.
- Instrumenting pre-selected Darlington and Pickering pump-motor assemblies with equipment condition monitoring technologies.
- Extracting already existing Darlington and Pickering equipment condition data on various condition monitoring systems pertaining to transformers, pump-motor sets (e.g. System 1), turbines and generators.
- Installing a variety of process sensors to help remotely monitor Darlington and Pickering’s thermal performance and cycle isolation conditions.
- The desired hardware/software needed to support the above deliverables includes wired/wireless sensors (and associated gateways, where required), signal conditioning electronics, central data acquisition and analysis. system (DAAS) for processing complex and dynamic data/signal streams, and other related components. This will collectively form the Advanced COLM ecosystem.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Applied Science in Mechanical and Electrical I&C.
- 5 + years Design experience, preferably with OPG or Nuclear Industry.
- Ideal candidate will be Design Engineer qualified (OPG Qual ID 33685) within OPG Nuclear.
- Relevant work experience within design engineering and experience with Nuclear Codes and Standards.
- Experience and ability as a team player to understand and manage the interrelationships of various internal and external groups in order to facilitate objectives and ensure projects satisfy stakeholder requirements.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and must be comfortable leading meetings and giving presentations.
- Have experience and/or willingness to interface with vendors.
- Have a strong interest in fast-paced, challenging work environment where showing initiative and self motivation are assets.
- Proven track record on delivering results.
- Strong in understanding, executing and following governance and procedures with a questioning and analytical attitude/approach under minimum required supervision.
- Working knowledge of OPG’s Engineering Change Control Process (ie. N-PROC-MP-0090) will be an asset.
- Candidate must be motivated to use technology and online/virtual platforms.
- Candidate must be a fully licensed engineer in the province of Ontario or be eligible to be licensed in the Province of Ontario.
- Background with the Advanced COLM Program Technologies (this can include but not limited to knowledge of relevant Electric Power Research Institute documents) will be an asset.