THE SENIOR PROJECT MANAGER LEADS JOINT PROJECT TEAMS (JPTS), APPLIES PROFESSIONAL PRINCIPLES, PRACTICES AND TECHNIQUES TO LEAD PROJECT TEAMS AND CONTROL PROJECT SCHEDULE, COST AND PERFORMANCE RISK TO ENSURE PROJECT IS COMPLETED WITHIN A CERTAIN SET OF RESTRAINTS (E.G., TIME, BUDGET, PEOPLE, QUALITY, MATERIALS) AND A HIGH LEVEL OF QUALITY. THIS ROLE IS GENERALLY ASSIGNED LARGE MULTIFACETED PROJECTS. THE SENIOR PROJECT MANAGER IS THE SINGLE POINT OF CONTACT REGARDING A SPECIFIC PROJECT AND ASSUMES THE LEADERSHIP ROLE IN SAFELY MANAGING THE PROJECT. BUDGET RESPONSIBILITY — CAPABILITY TO MANAGE LARGE PROJECT BUDGET OVER $25 MILLION, OR A PORTFOLIO OF PROJECTS THAT HAVE AN AGGREGATE TOTAL OVER $75 MILLION FOR ALL ACTIVE PROJECTS ASSIGNED. EDUCATION –BACHELOR’S DEGREE IN ENGINEERING, BUSINESS MANAGEMENT, OR TECHNICAL FIELD, OR EQUIVALENT EDUCATION, TRAINING AND/OR RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE. MASTER’S DEGREE PREFERRED BUT NOT REQUIRED.CERTIFICATION/LICENSE, ETC — PROJECT MANAGEMENT INSTITUTE (PMI) CERTIFICATION AS PROJECT MANAGEMENT PROFESSIONAL (PMP) WITHIN ONE YEAR OF APPOINTMENT OR ASSUMING THE SENIOR PM POSITION. (SEE SPP-34.018 FOR EXCEPTION/EXTENSION OF ONE YEAR TIMEFRAME.) DEMONSTRATED DESIRE TO EXCEL IN PROFESSIONAL FIELD OF STUDY AS DEMONSTRATED BY CERTIFICATION/LICENSURE IN PROFESSIONAL FIELD OF STUDY PREFERRED BUT NOT REQUIRED (E.G. PE, CPA, CFP, ETC)
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering, business management, or technical field, or equivalent education, training and/or related work experience. Master’s degree preferred but not required.
- Requires ten years utility project manager experience, or equivalent functional area work experience including three years of increased responsibilities leading project teams and project management experience.
- Requires specialized in-depth knowledge of project management techniques, experience to resolve in-depth problems, and practical experience in project scoping and cost estimating.
- Ability to look beyond existing methodologies and own discipline to define and resolve complex problems.
- Project Management Institute (PMI) certification as Project Management Professional (PMP) within one year of appointment or assuming the Senior PM position. (See SPP-34.018 for exception/extension of one year timeframe.)
- Demonstrated desire to excel in professional field of study as demonstrated by Certification/Licensure in professional field of study preferred but not required (e.g. PE, CPA, CFP, etc)
- Project management qualifications are governed by TVA-SPP-34.018, Project Manager Training and Development. SPP 34.018 covers leadership competencies, such as communication skills, business acumen, problem solving and other related competencies required for project management professionals.
- Personnel assigned to manage projects must have the skills, ability and experience commensurate with the size and complexity of the project.