We are hiring a permanent Instrumentation and Control Engineer that will be the Team Lead to small engineering team of 5 individuals. You will provide leadership to control engineers and designers and lead the design, development, and delivery of control systems for fuel handling applications, specialized tooling and process plant systems in the nuclear industry.
6 Key Areas of Responsibilities Include:
Planning and Project Integration
- Facilitate the preparation of proper plans and schedules (level 3) with individual contributors. Take ownership of the cost/schedule commitments of your team and your staff.
- Assist the functional manager in the review and approval of proposals and estimates.
Scope, Schedule, and Cost
- Prepare task assignment to individual contributors at the beginning of the project to define the project baseline.
- Provide a detailed level of Scope/Schedule/Budget surveillance to ensure adherence to Scope/Schedule/Budget.
- Monitor and drive job Scope/Schedule/Budget control with individuals to improve overall performance.
- Interface with Project Management Office (PMO) to report any Scope/Schedule/Budget variance from the project baseline.
- Lead the development, standardization and implementation of design processes to improve the operating efficiency of the Engineering unit. Development of the design guidelines for their knowledge areas.
- Document the processes and procedures which provide effective training and guidance documents for the Engineering staff.
- Assure compliance and adherence to processes and policy requirements. Enforce procedural use and adherence during approval steps.
- Verify the quality of the deliverables.
- Plan, lead, schedule and complete internal continuous improvement initiatives.
- Participate in resource planning with functional manager(s).
- Assist in the recruitment and interviewing of candidates.
- Write and conduct performance reviews in cooperation with the Functional Manager. Prepare and rollout individual goals for team members annually.
- Coach individual contributors to achieve best in class results.
- Assist in the onboarding training and development of staff new to the business.
- Review and approve weekly time sheet.
- Work closely with the Functional Manager, PMO and individuals to ensure that there is proper communication of job status.
- This position requires frequent interaction with external customers, subcontractors, and cross-functional internal teams. The team leader must have excellent communication skills, be energetic and a problem solver.
- Conduct regular team meetings to ensure accurate work planning, share design best practices and encourage team collaboration.
- Proactively identify project and technical risk, analyze solutions, and take decisive action to resolve issues and communicate these to the business.
- Lead individuals/teams in determining mitigation plans.
Education and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or related technical field.
- P.Eng. or eligible to pursue the license.
- Minimum 5 years experience in Control Engineering
- Minimum 2 years experience demonstrating ability to lead small to medium scale design teams.
- Familiar with complete design process: Proposal, Concept Design, Detail Design, Customer Review, Procurement, Manufacturing, Testing, Installation, Commissioning, and Close Out.
- Familiar with project lifecycle: Planning, Execution, Monitoring & Controlling and Closure.
- Familiar with Customers (OPG and Bruce Power) process such as ECC is an asset.