The Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), which governs how organizations provide accessible services to the public, requires that documents posted on public web sites be compliant by January 1, 2021. Our client is seeking additional external resources to supplement the work of internal staff to remediate existing documents in Word, PowerPoint, Excel and PDF format so that they conform to the technical standards for accessibility.
The AODA Document Specialist’s main responsibility is to remediate assigned documents to be AODA accessible.
- Reviews AODA requirements to make documents accessible at Level AA
- Reviews branding templates and guides
- Using knowledge of WCAG 2.0 success criteria for level AA, remediates assigned PDF, Word, Excel and Powerpoint documents to be accessible by AODA level AA standard. Training on Accessibility standards and criteria will be provided for those candidates who may not be familiar with them.
- Attends daily scrum meeting, provides status update, plan for the day, and briefly discusses issues and risks if any.
- Co-ordinates with the business point of contact to obtain any functional clarifications required to remediate the document (e.g. writing alternative text for a graph that is difficult to understand without the functional knowledge)
- Share the remediated document with the Test Lead and get it certified by Testing team if the document was identified to be quality assured prior to filing.
- Share the remediated document with the business point of contact identified in the document inventory indicating that it is has been remediated.
- Superior knowledge of creating or modifying documents using Microsoft(MS) Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint and Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Familiarity with accessibility requirements (AODA, WCAG 2.0 level AA) for documents is an asset
- Ability to learn quickly and work on tight timelines
- Good English oral and written communication skills
- Bring your own device (BYOD) – PC preferred.
- Possess a computer installed with the latest version of MS Word, MS Excel, MS Powerpoint, Adobe Acrobat Pro (2017 or later) and up to date anti-virus software.
- Possess a valid email for communication and document sharing.
- Possess a valid telephone number
- Have tools and ability to participate in virtual meetings and screen share when required – Microsoft Teams preferred