Position: Sr Technical Engineer/Project Lead
Due Date: December 17, 2020
Number of Vacancies: 7
Duration: 2 yr
OPG is seeking results driven engineering professionals to join our team in Durham Region, in the roles of Senior Technical Engineer and Project Lead – Darlington Projects & Refurbishment Projects. Reporting to the Section Manager – Projects, the Senior Technical Engineer and Project Leads will be responsible for undertaking the organizing, coordinating and controlling of all stages of project management in accordance with Project Management governance for assigned projects or project packages from developing and obtaining approvals to safe execution, final acceptance and project closeout.
- Prepare scope of work documents, lead constructability reviews, prepare Business Case Summaries for Senior Management, the Executive Office and the Board of Directors, for project approval and the release of funds.
- Prepare and coordinate the preparation of all information pertinent to an assigned project and alternatives to be considered for input into planning. Review and provide input and project charters for assigned projects.
- Prepare and coordinate estimates, schedules, execution plans, contracting strategies and project oversight plans. Develop work breakdown structures for estimating and controlling project funds. Gather input from stakeholder departments and agencies to ensure project requirements are captured and detailed in the estimate and execution plans.
- Arrange for application to, and negotiate with internal and external agencies for all necessary approvals, licenses, permits or clearances required.
- Ensure proper process is followed when defining labour requirements and arranging for labour resources.
- Coordinate the clarification of design and specification requirements, and arrange for necessary changes.
- Co-ordinate and participate in the preparation of specifications, bid packages, revaluation of tenders, and purchasing recommendations.
- Arrange and lead meetings to coordinate the requirements of, and progress by designers, suppliers, construction and operations before and after contract award. Maintain close liaison with field construction forces and operations on matters involving design, schedules, costing and other related issues. Provide immediate and higher management with regular project of work package reports. Monitor, evaluate and report on cost and schedule, and manager changes. Review cost variance reports, provide explanations and recommendations for disposition of variances, and take corrective actions when required. Evaluate project plans at every stage for project risk and development mitigation plans. Execute other project management functions as required by corporation policies and procedures.
- Provide contract management oversight.
- Maintain communication with internal and external stakeholders, regulatory bodies and agencies, and cooperate in exchange of relevant information as required to meet the project objectives. Arrange and chair meetings involving appropriate stakeholders with a given project. Guide and direct discussions involving internal staff, contractors, manufacturers, suppliers and the like, in an effort to efficiently meet project objectives. Coordinate the preparation of the project turnover documentation and ensure completeness. Document and address outstanding project deficiencies.
- Visit various site locations, manufactures, and suppliers as required. Be prepared to witness factory acceptance testing vendor sites for purchased material/equipment.
- Maintain awareness of, and keep all project parties informed of the latest construction, budgeting, estimating and scheduling practices and other corporates procedures. Review and maintain awareness of all corporate and local procedures pertinent to project control and administration. Maintain process compliance during project execution and advise supervisor if compliance cannot be achieved.
- Assemble job information and plan work as necessary. Assign portions of the work, and provide advice and direction as required. Check and assume responsibility for the work issued.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Project management principles, specifically the 5 primary project phases (Identification, Initiation, Definition, Execution, Closeout);
- Knowledge of economics and business principles to provide project cost estimates and forecasts;
- Knowledge of physics, engineering principles, mathematics and chemistry as related to industrial and power generation equipment;
- Project management experience, specifically, experience in developing project requirements and plans, preparing cost estimates, participating in contract bidding and award processes, managing projects in execution phase, and managing project closeout;
- Prior experience managing conflicting priorities of scope, schedule, cost and quality;
- Requires familiarity with equipment and processes in generating station or similar heavy industry;
- Must have experience problem solving and providing guidance;
- Knowledge of cost accounting and forecasting as it relates to project management;
- Knowledge of commercial contracting methods, contract management, construction methods, codes and standards, quality assurance and health and safety;
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to understand and manage the interrelationships of various internal and external groups in order to facilitate objectives and ensure projects satisfy stakeholder requirements;
- Experience related to environmental protection and associated concerns.
- Experience in managing projects of increasing complexity. Project complexity would be defined by multiple-contract, multiple stakeholder projects with schedule constraints;
- 4 yr university degree in an appropriate area plus post-secondary courses in project management and business economics related to project and asset management