Our client, one of the largest electrical energy suppliers in Canada, has an immediate need for Senior Electrical Engineer to develop safe engineering solutions. This is a contract position for one (1) year located in Burnaby, British Columbia.
This engineer will join a team of Maintenance Engineers responsible for maintaining Generation Stations to develop safe engineering solutions by using initiative and judgement to perform tasks including developing designs, analyzing and resolving problems, and interpreting engineering specifications on medium complexity and scope assignments for Hydro projects and operations.
- Perform Generator/Rotating Exciters/Transformers/Circuit Breakers visual inspections and testing.
- Develop safe engineering solutions by using initiative and judgement to perform tasks including developing designs, analyzing and resolving problems, and interpreting engineering specifications on medium complexity and scope assignments for projects and operations.
- Assist project or operations management to meet safety, cost, quality, and time objectives by proposing changes in plans and estimated costs, recommending payment for work completed by contractors, preparing progress reports, coordinating work schedules and other similar tasks.
- Resolve highly technical and unusual design and field engineering problems by conducting independent studies and analysis, exercising independent judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs to support successful operations and/or project completion
- Participate in ’s engineering practice by conducting independent studies and analysis, contributing to the development of technical standards, exercising judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs, and making decisions related to methods and designs as well as providing guidance and advice to other engineering professionals to develop future capability
- Deliver exceptional customer service by communicating with stakeholders and performing activities such as defining the scope of engineering/geoscience services to be provided, establishing the basic design criteria with the client, approving all related technical documentation, and assessing and reporting on work progress against standards, objectives, and specifications to support completion of projects safely, with quality, within budget and on time.
- Travel to remote parts of the province will be required to perform engineering duties.
- Access to a cellphone with unlimited data and minutes in BC will be required to perform engineering duties
- Demonstrated ongoing development such as self-study, attendance at technical and administrative courses and participation in technical and professional societies.
- Ability to coordinate multiple projects and to plan and manage project resources is desirable.
- 8 years of experience in a relevant engineering field or equivalent – Maintenance engineering experience is preferred
- Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) with Engineers & Geoscientists BC or eligible for registration with EGBC
- Must have class 5 drivers licence
- Experience performing Generator/Rotating Exciters/Transformers/Circuit Breakers visual inspections and testing.
- Engineering knowledge and experience in some or all of the following will be considered an asset: power generation, spare parts strategy, reliability centered maintenance, maintenance program optimization, equipment health assessments, forced outage investigations, and failure analysis.
- Solid understanding of related Standards and Codes used in the industry.
- Utilities industry experience is an asset, but not required.
- Priority will be given to candidates with demonstrated experience in the following particular fields:
- Grounding (including switchyard grounding)
- Arc Flash
- Hydro and Turbo Generators Tests:
- AC and DC Overvoltage Test
- Power Factor / Dissipation Factor Test
- Electromagnetic Core Imperfection Detection (ELCID) and Core Loop Test
- Rotor Flux Test Recurrent Surge Oscillation (RSO) and Surge Test
- Partial Discharge Test
- Stator Wedge Test
- TC and VE Accelerated Aging Test
- DC Machines Tests:
- Armature and Field Tests-
- Power Transformers Tests:
- Partial Discharge Test
- -Gas-In-Oil and Oil Quality Test
- Power Factor Test
- Gas-Insulated Switchgear Tests:
- Partial Discharge and coax cables Time Domain Reflectometry (TDR) Tests
- -Overvoltage Test
- Strong technical writing and presentation skills, communication, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment is essential.
- Candidates with lesser experience may be considered for a position appropriate to their level of experience.
Additional Information This resource will be required to work up to 40% of the time in the field at different locations in BC and 60% of the time in the office. Currently, due to COVID, the resource will work from home for the 60% time but will be required to work onsite once COVID restrictions are lifted.
If you’re a technical professional, you know that it can be difficult to find fulfilling work that advances your career. At the Ian Martin Group, we exist to connect professionals like you with meaningful work at industry-leading companies in your field. And we walk the walk, too: as a Certified B Corporation, we believe in using business as a force for good for people, our communities, and the environment.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.