Reporting directly to the Manufacturing Engineering Manager, the Manufacturing Engineering Specialist is responsible for the estimating and execution of a broad range of manufacturing projects from commercial and custom manufactured parts to sophisticated nuclear equipment.
- Prepare detailed cost estimates for custom-engineered manufacturing projects including electro-mechanical automation, instrumentation and control systems, cable assemblies, tooling, testing.
- Provide manufacturing inputs to the design process, participate in manufacturability reviews to identify manufacturing cost or schedule improvements during product design.
- Plan and lead jobs through manufacturing including procurement, electrical/mechanical assembly and test. Write instructions (shop travelers) for in-house activities, manufacturing sketches, assembly/test specs, etc. Identify, design and procure fixtures and required tooling.
- Prepare Manufacturing Bills of Material from engineering BOM’s, on JD Edwards MRP system. Perform make vs buy evaluations. Requisition purchased parts and materials for in-house manufactured items.
- Manage design changes and maintain configuration of the design during manufacturing.
- Lead and participate in project meetings related to schedules and budgets, including meetings with customers.
- Prepare schedule inputs for projects, including task planning to optimize lead times.
- Troubleshoot production problems with design and manufacturing teams, including recommending dispositions for non-conformances.
- Lead or participate in teams carrying out work at customer sites.
- Drive continuous improvement of manufacturing activities.
- College/University graduate in an Electrical Engineering discipline, P. Eng preferred.
- Journeyman (4+ years) electrician, electrical/electronics technician or technologist.
- 5+ years of manufacturing planning experience in custom engineered equipment industry.
- Hands-on experience with instrumentation and control equipment, PLCs, automation, wiring diagrams, electrical schematics.
- Knowledge or experience with metrology, Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerances (GD&T), blue print reading.
- High level of proficiency with data analysis and management including spreadsheet tools, MRP systems, etc.
- Demonstrated ability in project planning / execution, including development of processes / procedures and process improvements.
- Very strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Basic knowledge of common non-destructive examination (NDE) techniques.
- Knowledge and experience with machining (conventional + CNC/CAM), fitting/welding, assembly and materials including stainless steels, Al-bronze, nickel alloys, zirconium, etc.
- Technical writing experience including procedures, customer proposals, technical reports.
- Experience in cost-estimating multi-disciplined equipment and facility projects.
- Experience with Primavera (P6) project scheduling software.
- Experience in the nuclear industry is considered an asset but not required.