On behalf of one of North America’s largest natural gas distributors, we are looking for a Solar Project Engineer in Houston, TX
One Year Contract
20 hours per week
Summary of Major Job Responsibilities:
Looking for more expertise in solar projects.
- This role will work closely with their consulting engineering partner to keep them on schedule and budget.
- Will work on projects for facilities up to 10 megawatts, currently doing “behind the meter” installations (these are supplementing existing facility power usage).
- Needs to have excellent oral communication skills, 7 – 10 years of experience in this field.
- Work 20 hrs per week from home (to start, this project will likely ramp up to more hours), if they are in the Duluth area they can find a place in the office.
- Will be assigned 2 PM’s to work alongside with, project locations in WI and IL, not much travel (if any).
- Will work through the internal supply chain to procure project materials (will need experience working with these types of internal stakeholders).
- The optimal degree would be in electrical engineering but the experience will trump this.
- Success will come in the form of how they are supporting PMs with the expertise they are lacking, that schedule and budget are on track, and that they are moving the project forward.
- The person will need to be an SME, have leadership qualities, self-motivating, and manage their time very well.
- Utilize commercial pipeline simulation and optimization software to configure, calibrate, maintain, and update hydraulic models for various US natural gas pipeline systems.
- Operate these models with receipts/delivery data, system outage information, and ambient climate conditions, to calculate and publish pipeline operational capacities at the compressor station level.
- Advise gas control the optimized operation to achieve customer nomination. Lead capacity analysis for pipeline integrity outage planning to minimize customer impact and maximize company revenue.
- Maintain and monitor pipeline system fuel and electricity costs. Manage natural gas storage physical and customer inventory and direct storage facilities on gas movement.
- Calculate and post-operational capacity every month and support Capacity Scheduling, Gas Control, and Commercial Operations on ad-hoc requests when an unplanned system outage occurs
- Perform detailed capacity analysis for planned outages such as pipeline integrity planning to minimize outage impacts on customers and minimize revenue loss.
- Facilitate short-term capacity opportunities and support Marketing in the development and Gas Control in the execution of these plans
- Assist / support discretionary capital project development / implementation
- Track and Monitor pipeline system imbalances and system fuel/electricity account, supporting regulatory in FERC filings and rate cases
- Enhance and maintain collaborative working relationships with Asset Planning, Transmission, Gas Control, Operations, Scheduling, Marketing, Regulatory, IT and E&C
- Monitor/manage US natural gas storage inventories, both physical and customer, provide directions on inventory movement to Gas Control and storage staff to support marketing strategies
- Provide daily guidance to storage staff on horsepower usage and inventory allocation to optimize fuel utilization
- Coordinate planned/unplanned outages with the field, Gas Control, and marketing to minimize interruption to customer nominations
- Create inventory plans to facilitate marketing to capture short term financial gains
- Help design/budget/coordinate/execute storage expansion projects, including de-bottlenecking and optimization studies for operational enhancements and flexibility
- Support underground storage in inventory testing and regulatory filings.
- Maintain operational capacity map and SUD map
- Assist in the ongoing development and maintenance of the key real-time system
- Maintain online fuel/electric tracking system
- Maintain and update online storage inventory tracking system
- Maintain and update company online system load forecaster
- Undergraduate Engineering degree
- 4-7 years of pipeline and storage-related experience
- Ability to successfully manage multiple projects and programs
- Anticipate and promptly identify potential problems and take corrective action before they become a crisis
- Knowledge of hydraulic simulation and related commercial software
- Experience with Gas Control, and Gas Pipeline & Storage Operations
- Basic understanding of pipeline and storage commercial operations and energy markets
- Knowledge of assets