Our oil and gas client in Ottawa, is looking to hire a Indigenous Relations Advisor for a 12 months contract role with possibility of extension.
What you will be doing…
- Description: Top three skills to look for are the coordination skills this role is a support role they will need the capacity to send out info pkgs, record info and provide info. They will need to execute the plans.
- Community and Indigenous Engagement Advisor (Contract Position)
- Under the leadership of the Manager Community and Indigenous Engagement, this position is accountable for managing Indigenous consultation processes, while providing advice into the development and implementation of strategies, policy and programs.
- This includes the implementation of protocols and programs designed to strategically deliver consistent, effective and mutually beneficial engagement with Indigenous communities.
- This role will include executing specific consultation activities to support expansion projects. Developing and implementing engagement strategies, supporting environmental assessments programs, aligning rightsholder and stakeholder interests with project requirements, relationship agreement making, and providing advice into project teams will be key to supporting these consultation activities.
- Overall internally, this position will provide strategic and tactical advice, build confidence and generate managerial support for Indigenous matters, within company operating areas.
- The role has a significant impact on mitigating potential financial and regulatory risks associated with continuing safe operations activities as well as the design and development of successful expansion projects.
- Additionally, the role will support innovative economic development solutions that will influence sustainable change throughout the organization in support of the Indigenous procurement program.
key responsibility and duties:
- Assist in the development and implementation of strategic protocols and approaches which will provide a basis for consistent and effective engagement with Indigenous communities to build trust, support expansion projects, with the ultimate goal to deliver mutual benefits derived from mutual interests.
- Ensure company interests are communicated in a culturally respectful manner to Indigenous peoples, to build an understanding of the practical realities the company and present a scope of the opportunities available.
- Provide strategic advice into the maintenance of relationships with Indigenous and local communities.
- Where required, negotiate or facilitate resolutions in undefined, complex and dynamic situations which have the potential to impact system operations, expansion, or relationships. Implement working and relationship agreements: 1. ensure consistent implementation; 2. effective management of agreement obligations to ensure the terms deliver the outcomes expected; 3. build sustainable long term relationships, including economic development, cultural support, social responsibility; and 4. develop and implement a framework within which operations and maintenance activities are conducted; as well as define the scope of projects and activities which require consultation and notification.
- Assist in the development and implementation of strategies to distribute effective internal communication on Indigenous legal and governance matters that will influence relationships, operations and expansion capability.
- Develop and implement consistent strategies to facilitate regional Indigenous community engagement and mitigation dialogues, social engagement (literacy, community health), issues management, Indigenous Supply Chain Program and position the Company as a credible partner to communities and government.
- Provide preliminary risk assessments to business development, develop consistent internal processes to support Crown consultation, field studies (i.e. traditional land-use, traditional ecological knowledge, archaeology) and to facilitate Indigenous community engagement and mitigation dialogues.
What You Will Do:
- Provide project engagement and consultation support to the Community and Indigenous Engagement Team with reporting, events, meeting preparation, meeting attendance, issues management and other related tasks such as planning, writing, editing, implementation, etc.
- Conduct research and analysis of trends, issues, etc, develop stakeholder/community lists, engagement plans, support meeting planning, preparation, and execution.
- Handle other ad-hoc reporting requests and assist with other special projects to support other team members.
- Support the engagement team to prioritize, schedule, and organize face-to-face meetings, project field activities, and other monitoring requirements
- Ability to travel is required. Overtime and weekend work as required.
- Ability to organize ones time and commitments independently from others within the organization.
- Willingness to work in a high stress and sometimes highly emotional environment.
- A broad understanding of Indigenous culture, history and politics.
- Ability to analyze, summarize and explain complex ideas, risks and challenges to Company leadership in a balanced manner that ensures Indigenous Engagement responsibilities, goals and objectives are considered and included.
- Ability to influence decisions rendered by other functional groups leadership, which could impinge or complement this role.
What you will need to succeed…
Must Have Skills:
- Education Degree or diploma or professional designation; or example related to social sciences, law, business or resource management
- Professional/Technical Certification or Licenses Preferred
- 4-7 years directly related experience in the Indigenous Engagement industry, including:
- Indigenous relations historical and legal environment (for example UNDRIP, Delgammukw, the Indian Act, Specific Claims Act), in the context of land-use, facility development and maintenance.
- Indigenous governance and cultural awareness.
- Background in negotiating con