On behalf of one of North America’s largest natural gas distributors, we are looking for a Senior Mechanical Engineer in Houston, TX
Top Attributes that would make a candidate stand out:
1. Turbine experience (particularly Solar Turbines);
2. Natural gas compressor station experience;
3. Centrifugal compressor experience.
- The Senior Engineer oversees the design for facilities associated with expansion and maintenance capital projects executed by third-party engineering firms to ensure compliance with Company standards and specifications and industry standards and managed to the project budget and schedule.
- Liaison with other functional groups within Project Execution, Operations, and Shared Services to ensure project and company requirements are achieved and incorporated into the design deliverables.
- Oversees the development of the project scope, schedule, capital cost estimate, execution planning, risks, and supporting information related to assigned facility projects.
- Ensures that all facilities are designed following all regulations, applicable industry codes, and corporate standards
- Manages the execution of the design deliverables by a third-party engineering firm against the project budget and schedule
- Reviews and approves design deliverables for example drawings, technical reports, and material listing sheets
- Reviews vendor materials quotations, prepare technical evaluations, and recommends to the supervisor selections based on technical merit along with price and delivery. For example, turbine/compressor packages, equipment vessels, buildings, pipe, valves, and fittings
- Leads the commissioning of newly installed facilities when required.
- Reviews lessons learned from past projects and incorporate recommendations into future designs
- Provide technical guidance to junior engineers within the team or others based upon technical expertise
- Support and/or lead department initiatives as required
- Ensures that development project scope definitions comply with all regulatory, environmental, health, and safety requirements through effective management and coordination of internal functional groups
- Provides support and assistance to peers and more senior staff to facilitate business initiatives and legal compliance, e.g., Engineering Projects, Law, Health, Safety and Environment, Operations, etc.
- Responsible for the successful operations of the assigned area with significant corporate financial impact.
- Oversees the development and/or implementation of technical solutions, ensuring efficient coordination of technical resources and with other internal and external stakeholders.
- Provides informal leadership to peers.
- Contacts (Working Relationships)
- Project Manager – Weekly interaction to provide updated status on progress, cost, schedule, and risk.
- Supervisor/Manager, Facilities Project Engineering – Daily to weekly interaction to provide project status update.
- External Engineering Firm – Daily interaction to provide oversight on project design activities.
- Operations – Weekly interaction to provide project status updates and seek guidance on required design features.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Engineering degree in an applicable discipline
- 7 years of progressively responsible experience in engineering and project management
- Professional Engineer designation
- Demonstrated ability to be innovative, initiate and manage change.
- Capable of working independently, managing multiple projects, and prioritizing tasks accordingly
- Ability to resolve complex issues based on depth and breadth of technical and business knowledge
- Awareness of interrelationships with other stakeholders both internal and external to the project team
- Effectively communicate technical issues and impacts to other technical and non-technical staff
- Office environment
- Stress levels can be above normal as project work is deadline-oriented, highly visible and numerous activities are conducted concurrently
- Overnight business trips to the field may be required, usually requires Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).