We are currently requesting resumes for the following position: Technical Officer/Engineer
Resume Due Date: Monday, January 7th, 2019 (5:00PM EST)
Number of Vacancies: 2
Duration: 12 months
Location: 777 Brock Road, Pickering, Ontario
Provide technical advice, guidance, consultation and services to stakeholders to deal with problems and issues for assigned project. This may include (but not limited to):
- Establishing and utilizing contacts with suppliers and manufacturers and in other industries/ utilities as a resource for problem-solving.
- Participating in and/or chairing meetings with involved stakeholders to identify issues causing conflict or controversy (i.e. work priorities, objectives, etc.), work together to analyse alternative approaches, and reach mutual agreement on the problem resolution.
- Developing proposals and produce recommendations for stakeholder review, keeping Supervisor generally informed of outcome and significant impacts.
- Lead assigned project, working with project team and stakeholders, to determine resource requirements, balance workload with available resources (if applicable), coordinate work efforts with other involved groups, adapt project/study activities to address changing priorities, anticipate and resolve problems which pose an impediment to successful completion, and accomplish planned work results to the satisfaction of the stakeholders and Supervisor within established budgetary and scheduling constraints.
- Produce reports or other documents and/or presentations as required to portray results from project deliverables/ activities and present evidence to support conclusions or recommendations.
- Evaluate and secure the services and products of external firms, in accordance with corporate policies and divisional programs.
- Contribute as required to committees and task forces to conduct studies and/or carry out work programs for the Business Unit, Ontario Power Generation, and/or other utilities or industries.
- Ensure that all work activities, programs, and project deliverables reflect an awareness of applicable legislated, corporate and departmental safety requirements and programs and are in compliance with same. Anticipate future regulations/requirements and provide input into their formulation. Contribute to the development and administration of the departmental/divisional safety program.
- Participate in budget submissions, financial evaluations and purchase justifications as requested.
- Keep abreast of latest developments in the assigned technical discipline, through reference to relevant technical publications and regular interface with research, industrial, and educational bodies.
- Perform other duties as required to support progress of work activities.
Lead and facilitate project management activities/ deliverables:
- Perform weekly project trends and updates to track project costs and schedule.
- Support preparation of Business Case Summary to obtain project funding.
- Provide monthly forecasts and changes to annual cash flows.
- Obtain approval for contingency funding and project milestones changes.
- Formulate strategies to mitigate project cost variances.
- Initiate contracts for materials and purchased services (i.e. engineering, procurement, construction activities).
- Manage material and purchase service contracts to ensure terms and conditions are maintained and disputes are resolved.
Facilitate and support Engineering Change/Modification process:
- Complete modification deliverables to support the Engineering Change process.
- Provide oversight throughout all phases of the modification (initiation, design, implementation, commissioning, AFS and closeout).
- Coordinate review meetings with stakeholders to ensure issues relating to constructability, operability, maintainability and safety are identified and addressed.
- Facilitate the procurement of long-lead material and spares.
- Prepare Available for Service (AFS) documentation and obtain approval to turnover modification to station stakeholders.
- Track the closeout of the modification following AFS to ensure all open items and outstanding actions are completed.
Support project field testing and execution activities:
- Prepare installation and commissioning work plans to coordinate field activities.
- Prepare schedules to ensure the proper sequencing of installation and commissioning tasks.
- Support coordination of activities to ensure work is executed to maintain schedule stability.
- Resolve field issues in a timely manner to mitigate delays in the field. Utilize approved troubleshooting process as required.
- Bachelor Degree in Engineering or Applied Science.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification is an asset.
- Minimum 4 years of relevant work experience within project engineering
- Ideal candidates will have worked in a Nuclear Engineering environment
- Experience and knowledge with Inspection Qualification Programs is considered an asset
- Experience and ability as a team player to understand and manage the interrelationships of various internal and external groups in order to facilitate objectives and ensure projects satisfy stakeholder requirements
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and be comfortable leading meetings and giving presentations;
- Have a desire to balance engineering theoretical work with hands-on field work
- Have experience and/or willingness to interface with vendors
- Have a strong interest in fast-paced, challenging work environments where showing initiative and self motivation are assets
- Advanced software skills in MS-Office (Particularly MS Project)
- Proven track record on delivering results
- Strong in understanding, executing and following governance and procedures with a questioning and analytical attitude/approach under minimum required supervision