Our client, one of the largest electrical energy suppliers in Canada, has an immediate need for a Mandatory Reliability Standards (MRS) Risk & Control Lead. This is a contract position for two (2) years located in Vancouver, British Columbia
This role in the MRS SigmaFlow Enterprise Project is focused on compliance to the Operations and Planning (O&P) Standards, by conducting effective assessments of risk, evaluating and developing associated internal controls, and working with business unit compliance teams to implement the internal controls.
One of the key business priorities is to take steps to ensure compliance with the North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) Mandatory Reliability Standards (MRS). MRS have been adopted by the BC Utilities Commission to achieve, sustain and demonstrate compliance with its obligations to support the reliability of the bulk electric system. The approximately 120 adopted Standards cover topics such as real-time operations, long term transmission system planning, protection system maintenance programs and critical infrastructure protection.
- Conduct risk assessments of compliance to MRS, particularly O&P standards
- Assess existing internal controls at the MRS requirement level and co-create improved internal controls with business group compliance teams.
- Lead project and business group compliance team resources to develop and implement MRS internal controls at the requirement level and any process, procedure, policy, and program changes required.
- Work with the project team to automate internal controls with workflows in the compliance management system where feasible.
- Work with the project team and internal stakeholders for the successful implementation and sustainment of compliance with MRS, including coaching and assisting with training material development.
- Within the Internal Compliance Program, specifically O&P, identify MRS related improvements including governance, compliance monitoring processes/procedures and assisting with implementation plans.
Must Have Requirements
- Solid experience with MRS on the operations and planning side (mostly likely will be an engineer)
- Internal controls and risk management expertise auditor, assurance or audit person, QA person, CIA, CISA credentials
- Have worked for WEK or any other major regulators, in the US or Canada, auditor whos worked in the utilities industry in North America
- Note: Candidates should hit all three marks, if candidate meets 2/3 requirements, will only be considered if there is a compelling reason.
- Bachelors degree in Engineering, Business, or other relevant field, or equivalent experience related to risk/controls/audit and assurance activities.
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant experience in the electric utility industry and / or an equivalent industry.
- Demonstrated senior level experience as this role requires a broad depth of O&P MRS and project leadership experience
- Demonstrated and proven senior level experience, ability and knowledge in the following:
- designing, evaluating and implementing risk programs and internal controls
- project leadership roles (e.g. project manager, business lead, etc.)
- Preference will be given to candidates with NERC/MRS Programs in Canada and/or the US
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills at all levels within the organization
- Excellent relationship management, collaboration and interpersonal skills
- Effective presentation skills, including the ability to convey complex technical issues to diverse audiences
- Additional assurance certifications will be beneficial, such as Certified Internal Auditor or equivalent certifications (i.e. CPA, CFA, CMA, CRISC, CISA, CCMP)
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities Required:
- Sound understanding of internal control and risk management principles and frameworks. Demonstrated ability to evaluate and develop controls.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and process a high volume of detailed information with accuracy.
- Self-motivated with strong organizational skills and the ability to work effectively in a team environment as well as individually.
- Strong relationship management skills and ability to collaborate with a cross-section of internal stakeholders; demonstrate business acumen, create innovative solutions, develop action plans, implement change and champion stakeholder acceptance.
- Strong ability to communicate effectively, including verbal and business writing in the English language.
- Strong interpersonal communications and presentation skills including confidence in public speaking and delivering training/presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to manage relationships to balance business needs with compliance requirements and to work closely with subject matter experts to find solutions that add value and to reach consensus. Strong analytical skills to set up structures for gathering relevant information and to identify and deal effectively with issues that may have significant impact on stakeholders.
- Maintain currency with emerging MRS internal control approaches and methodologies; participates in related conferences and seminars maintains membership with relevant industry professional associations and organizations.
- Develops and maintains expertise and knowledge with MRS broadly and O&P standards specifically.
- Client requires proof of Covid-19 vaccination to access job site. Providing proof of vaccination is a condition of employment with Ian Martin” for this opportunity.
- Local candidates preferred, 100% remote considered if willing to travel to Vancouver for key meetings.
If you’re a technical professional, you know that it can be difficult to find fulfilling work that advances your career. At the Ian Martin Group, we exist to connect professionals like you with meaningful work at industry-leading companies in your field. EWEMI