Group Lead, Front End Engineering
- Saint John, New Brunswick
- Full-time permanent position
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience, bonus, benefits, relocation assistance
- Opportunity to work on the beautiful East coast, where you can enjoy the ocean at your door, untouched wilderness, pristine beaches, and affordable living – relocation assistance available
- Excellent opportunity with a well-established, stable company with a strong commitment to their employees, the environment, community, and the next generation
Who are you?
You’re a seasoned engineer, looking for an exciting new opportunity to take on a leadership role with one of Canada’s top 100 employers? This may be the perfect role for you.
You’re looking to join a collaborative and professional team, committed to diversity and inclusion along with a safety-first culture. If you’re up for a new and exciting challenge, with a company that can offer you stability, professional development, and a chance to work with like-minded, values-driven individuals, look no further.
Who is the employer?
The Ian Martin Group has partnered with our client, a family-owned company, founded over 90 years ago, with operations throughout Eastern Canada, northeast US and Ireland. They operate bulk furnace oil and propane outlets across Atlantic Canada, New England and Quebec as well as select locations in eastern Ontario, almost all of which is supplied from their refinery in NB. Our client is focused on providing exceptional service and high-quality products to their customers and a strong commitment to their employees, the environment, community, and the next generation.
What you’ll be doing
As the new Group Lead, Front End Engineering, you will lead the front end development (identification, evaluation, justification, and definition) of projects for the Engineering Services team across organizational assets. Millions of dollars of capital are invested each year focused on safety, reliability, regulatory compliance and profitability, and quality front end engineering development is critical to ensure effective and efficient capital deployment. You will ensure consistent fit for purpose practices and conceptual designs are employed across all projects.
Practically speaking you will:
- Lead and contribute to the front end development stages (FEL 1 and 2) and supports FEED, detailed engineering, and execution stages
- Build relationships with various levels of leadership and stakeholders in the front end development of capital projects through influence and collaboration
- Provide guidance to direct reports and internal stakeholders on the application of technology
- Follow the established performance management process for direct reports
- Provide input into the development of capital portfolio
- Coach, mentor and provide leadership guidance to front end engineers and co-op student(s), including consistent fit for purpose practices
- Provide guidance to direct reports on managing and oversight of 3rd party vendors’ work and performance
- Work with other stakeholders to prioritize front end engineering work
- Work with the Senior Manager of Front End Engineering, the Engineering Services resource planner and external engineering team to develop and maintain a front end engineering resource capacity plan and strategy (for both internal and external resources)
The very best in this role will bring more than solid technical experience. They will be excellent communicators and have strong interpersonal skills to develop and maintain relationships with all stakeholders. They must be able to collaborate with various stakeholder groups and lead front end project development through influence and use logical/objective decision making.
This is a full-time permanent position based in Saint John, New Brunswick. If relocation is required, assistance can be provided. In addition to a competitive annual salary, you’ll enjoy comprehensive group benefits, performance-based bonus plan, vacation, flexible work program and opportunities for professional development.
- Understanding of the basic economic drivers of the oil refining industry
- Familiarity with process simulation software
- Basic understanding of project stage gate process, project execution and project management
- Some degree of business, financial and strategic acumen. Must understand and be able to apply key financial principles (perform business case analysis)
- Attention to quality, cost and schedule; timely decision making is very important
- Strong risk assessment capability
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering with P. Eng
- Postgraduate Engineering and/or MBA degree would be an asset
- 10+ experience in refinery process engineering and refinery process technologies and operations within an owner/operator environment
- Front end capital project development experience preferred
- Minimum 10 years of relevant experience with a strong background in oil refining and capital project development (particularly front end engineering)
- 5+ years leadership experience in an engineering environment
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
At Ian Martin, we connect people with meaningful work. We work with people like you for similar technical roles. If you apply, be sure to create a profile with us. That way, great technical jobs will come to you before they even get to the job boards!