- Saint John, NB
- Job ID:
Senior Labour Relations Specialist
- Saint John, New Brunswick
- Full-time permanent position
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience, bonus, benefits, relocation assistance
- Opportunity to work on the beautiful East coast, where you can enjoy the ocean at your door, untouched wilderness, pristine beaches, and affordable living
- Excellent opportunity with a well-established, stable company with a strong commitment to their employees, the environment, community, and the next generation
Who are you?
Are you a seasoned labour relations professional, looking for an exciting new opportunity to take on a leadership role with one of Canada’s top 100 employers? This may be the perfect role for you.
You’re looking to join a collaborative and professional team, committed to diversity and inclusion along with a safety-first culture. If you’re up for a new and exciting challenge, with a company that can offer you stability, professional development, and a chance to work with like-minded, values-driven individuals, look no further.
Who is the employer?
The Ian Martin Group has partnered with our client, a family-owned company, founded over 90 years ago, with operations throughout Eastern Canada, northeast US and Ireland. They operate bulk furnace oil and propane outlets across Atlantic Canada, New England and Quebec as well as select locations in eastern Ontario, almost all of which is supplied from their refinery in NB. Our client is focused on providing exceptional service and high-quality products to their customers and a strong commitment to their employees, the environment, community, and the next generation.
What you’ll be doing
As the new Senior Labour Relations Specialist, you’ll provide strategic labour relations insight and support to the Supply Management team to maximize relationships between suppliers, labour organizations and our client. This role will understand applicable labour agreements, collective bargaining relationships and associated impacts to the business and its supplier base and provide support to manage any associated impacts. This role will also have visibility and awareness of industry issues that could impact labour relations and will support the management of these issues.
Practically speaking you will:
- Drive the development of labour relation related strategies associated with the supplier base in partnership with internal stakeholders
- Understand and monitor all labour agreements
- Maintain knowledge of progressive labour relations practices, laws, trends and data points to drive enhancements
- Support the company in areas of labour relations including collective agreement interpretation and application, including the ability to support pricing of work against these agreements
- Provide recommendations to optimize supplier agreements impacted by labour agreements
- Evaluate and communicate risks & opportunities of various labour relations approaches to ensure appropriate and consistent decisions are made
- Provide training/education to internal stakeholders on labour agreements and impacts to company supplier base
- Serve as a change agent by influencing key stakeholders in support of organizational effectiveness
- Primary Supply Management liaison for internal stakeholders on supplier labour relations matters
- Work with the Manager of Labour Relations to support relationships with key external organizations, institutions and associations that affect supplier labour relations matters
The very best in this role will bring more than solid labour relations experience. They will be excellent communicators, articulate and have strong interpersonal skills to develop and maintain relationships with all stakeholders. They must be able to work in partnership with all stakeholders with confidence and use diplomacy when collaborating and fostering robust partnerships.
This is a full-time permanent position based in Saint John, New Brunswick. If relocation is required, assistance can be provided. In addition to a competitive annual salary, you’ll enjoy comprehensive group benefits, performance-based bonus plan, vacation, flexible work program and opportunities for professional development.
- Experience acting for a project owner on labour relations matters is an asset
- Experience implementing and supporting performance management of supplier personnel is an asset
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong decision-making skills required
- Ability to collaborate at all levels and develop strong relationships with key stakeholders quickly
- Proven ability to take initiative, work well under pressure with multiple deadlines
- Bachelor’s degree preferred in Business or related field, with a background in Contract Law and Industrial Relations
- 10 – 15 years’ experience in a relevant field
- Experience of progressive labour relations within the construction industry
- Solid knowledge of provincial and federal labour relations practices
- Experienced negotiator with the ability to influence individuals and groups to gain buy-in and acceptance of new ideas and approaches
- Sound business acumen and analytical skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
At Ian Martin, we connect people with meaningful work. We work with people like you for similar technical roles. If you apply, be sure to create a profile with us. That way, great technical jobs will come to you before they even get to the job boards!