Utility Locator / Damage Prevention Technician
- Location: Cambridge/Brantford/Norfolk
- Full-time permanent position, day shift with some flexibility in hours
- Frequent opportunities for overtime available, with evening and weekend work as needed
- Competitive hourly rate ($18.95 per hour or more based on previous experience) with opportunities for performance review and potential increases every 6 months
- Benefits, and defined contribution pension plan
- Company vehicle, cell phone, and laptop provided
- Opportunity to work independently outdoors
Are you ready to learn a skilled trade and begin your career in a fast-growing and lucrative industry?
Look no further. OEC Services is hiring and training new Damage Prevention Technicians to complete utility locates in and around the city. The OEC Services family includes multiple growing companies providing electrical distribution infrastructure, energy and power generation services.
Damage Prevention Technicians are the unsung heroes of the construction industry. So, what do they do? With any new excavation, there’s always the risk of hitting gas lines, water lines, and electrical cables. Underground utility line locators prevent significant damage and even danger by making sure that doesn’t happen.
If you’ve ever seen a thin metal rod sticking up from someone’s lawn — usually topped with a brightly colored pennant – that’s where a damage prevention technician or utility locator has found and marked the path of underground utility lines through neighborhoods.
In this role, you will:
- Use state of the art locating equipment, geographic information systems (GIS), maps, and engineering drawings to identify the location of underground utilities
- Thoroughly search for all gas, phone, and fiber optic cables in an area and mark them with spray paint and coloured flags
- Prepare reports and documentation so we can track the work you and your team are doing across the city
This is a great job for people who love working solo outdoors, representing their company to the public and using their heads to investigate and solve problems. Being a Damage Prevention Technician sets you up for terrific career opportunities long-term – you’ll participate in a 3-month training program to learn the skills of this fast-growing industry, and once you’ve proven yourself capable in this role, there are many places to go within our company.
We’re looking for people with backgrounds in construction, landscaping, surveying, GIS, skilled trades, or engineering. If you love working outdoors, you’re made for this role.
You’ll thrive in this job because you’re reliable and dedicated, a natural problem solver, and detail-oriented. You’ve also got an aptitude for reading maps and would enjoy the regular task of calculating distances and writing clear reports.
On top of these characteristics you must:
- Have experience, or definitely would enjoy working outdoors in all weather conditions
- Be physically fit and able to walk frequently on uneven surfaces, sit in a vehicle, lift up to 20 lbs with one hand, complete repetitive arm motions and use a shovel and other similar equipment
- Be able to visually distinguish colours
- Have a valid Ontario “G” class driver’s license and be able to produce a clean drivers abstract
- Have a high school diploma
- Be willing to obtain and wear CSA approved steel toe safety boots
- Be willing to undergo and successfully clear a criminal background check
- Be able to work weekends and evenings when overtime is required
- Have strong computer literacy and ability to use new software and Microsoft Office
And here’s what would be an asset:
- Have experience in construction, farming, utilities (e.g., gas fitting or electrical background), land surveying, GIS, or similar
- Experience working as a Damage Prevention Technician or Utility Locator, would be an asset but is not required
You’ll be supplied with a company vehicle, phone and laptop for work use. You’ll work on your own, travelling to sites within your territory. You’ll mostly work Monday to Friday during the day with flexible hours, with overtime work on the weekends or evenings as required.
If you would love to work outdoors and start an exciting career, we need to hear from you right away!
How to Apply
Our online application will ask you to apply to this role as a complete person – not just a resume. We strive to build diverse teams that reflect the community, and encourage applications from underrepresented groups.
We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing from you.
Please note: OEC require proof of Covid-19 vaccination to access the job site. Providing proof of vaccination is a condition of employment