Our client, one of the largest financial industry clients in Canada, has an immediate need for a Visual Product Designer. This is a contract position for one (1) year located in Toronto, ON.
What are the main responsibilities of the role?
This person is responsible for the Visual Design of the work across the two squads. But, as a member of the Design team, she/he/they are also a key contributor to the conceptual and strategic work of those squads.
At the abstract level, the ideal candidate will help to define the value we want our clients to recognize in their relationships with client and to map out the pieces of the experiences that support that promise.
At an executional level, this person will use the specific skills of the craft to bring meaning and understanding to the digital experiences we create, establishing visual hierarchies of importance so that our users — both clients and front-line staff — can engage more easily and in more meaningful ways with our digital products.
Besides tactical activities, this person will participate in ideation and other collaborative activities, contributing her/his/their expertise to help broaden the group’s perspective on the work at hand.
What capabilities makes the designer you’re replacing (or current designers on your team) successful?
· the ability to create a story out of the features, functionality and experiences we offer our clients, to recognize opportunities to connect those pieces
· the ability to use visual design strategies to help our clients understand the screens we present and to act on them
· the ability to work with ambiguity and shifting priorities
· the ability to build bridges across the different functions and roles of the team, to help to manage our peers, partners and stakeholders and to make them know that they’re a part of our work
· the ability to remind the team of the objectives we’re trying to achieve and to help everyone to focus on them
What does the future state of success look like for the new designer?
This person will have earned the confidence of her/his/their) Product Owner, Tech Lead and Design peers.
This person will have helped them to organize around a common understanding of their goals and how to reach them.
And this person will have found a cadence and rhythm for managing the work across two squads.
What are the must have skills (4-5 max)?
· UI design
· abstract thinking
· a methodical approach to problem identification and solution
· collaboration & stakeholder management
What are the nice to have skills (3-4 max)?
· experience using Figma
· experience working with design systems and standardized libraries of assets
· experience using journey maps and story boards as a design tool for telling the story of the experience we hope to create
· design research
What skills would you like to build within your team?
· stakeholder management
As a baseline, we expect team members to have:
· high-level craft-specific & executional abilities
· some experience with facilitation
· capabilities in abstract thinking and ideation
What are the hours of work? Please specify break times as well.
9am to 5pm – 37.5 hours a week. As a contractor there are no benefits, or paid vacation time, contractors will need to take 20 unpaid days off a year and do not get paid for statutory holidays.
What program/technology/software knowledge is essential for this role? Describe in what capacity the selected candidate will be using it?
Figma will be used the majority of the time, we also use Mural and Keynote.
Strong communication and presentation skills, ability to collaborate with other designers and cross-functional team members, ability to manage stakeholders and build relationships. Experience in facilitating workshops is a nice to have.
- Client requires proof of Covid-19 vaccination to access job site. Providing proof of vaccination is a condition of employment with Ian Martin” for this opportunity.
- The resource can work from home to start but will be required to work onsite in Edmonds at least 2 days per week once covid worksite restrictions lifted
If you’re a technical professional, you know that it can be difficult to find fulfilling work that advances your career. At the Ian Martin Group, we exist to connect professionals like you with meaningful work at industry-leading companies in your field. And we walk the walk, too: as a Certified B Corporation, we believe in using business as a force for good for people, our communities, and the environment.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.