Our client, one of the largest financial industry clients in Canada, has an immediate need for a Interaction Designer. This is a contract position for one (1) year located in Toronto, ON (Temporary Remote).
What are the main responsibilities of the role?
We work in a very Agile framework where speed and efficiency are key to our success. The ability and openness to collaborate with partners, and communicate rationale for design decisions but as well exhibit the flexibility to understand business and development constraints and how might that affect the design are a key part of success in this role.
I am looking for more of a “progressive” interaction designer in the sense that they exhibit more of a Product Designer mindset with regards to being comfortable with multiple skillsets (ie Interaction, Visual, Design Thinking).
This practitioner will be assigned to one squad as an interaction designer to partner with our content and visual designers and researcher.
They will be connecting and aligning with designers in and outside of our journey – Home — to ensure consistency of experience for our advisors and clients.
What capabilities makes the designer you’re replacing (or current designers on your team) successful?
· Product Design focused (interaction, visual design, service design principles)
· Highly skilled interaction designer with strong experience and understanding of component design
· The ability to communicate rationale for design decisions as well as exhibit the flexibility to understand business and development constraints and how might that affect the design
· Highly collaborative and open-minded individual
What does the future state of success look like for the new designer?
A respected and collaborative partner within our design, product and technology teams who is able to influence design direction and ensure craft excellence while meeting the needs of the business and clients to create exceptional and consistent client experiences.
What are the must have skills (4-5 max)?
· Strong communication, collaboration and influence kills
· Product Design focused (Interaction and Visual Design skillset)
· Strong understanding and experience with component design (Figma a requirement)
· Has mobile-first design experience
· Has worked in an Agile setting and a proven track record of working closely with product owners and developers.
· Has experience working with a Design System
What are the nice to have skills (3-4 max)?
· Has conducted or helped conduct quantitative (evaluative) research
· Understands front-end development and its constraints
· Has a pulse on industry trends and best practices
What skills would you like to build within your team?
Our goal is to encourage our designers to explore different disciplines to get an appreciation and create empathy for each other’s process and create more well-rounded Product Designers who are able to influence and help shape design direction without formal authority.
What are the hours of work? Please specify break times as well.
9am to 5pm – 37.5 hours a week. As a contractor there are no benefits, or paid vacation time, contractors will need to take 20 unpaid days off a year and do not get paid for statutory holidays.
What program/technology/software knowledge is essential for this role? Describe in what capacity the selected candidate will be using it?
Figma will be used the majority of the time, we also use Mural and Keynote.
Strong communication and presentation skills, ability to collaborate with other designers and cross-functional team members, ability to manage stakeholders and build relationships. Experience in facilitating workshops is a nice to have.
- Client requires proof of Covid-19 vaccination to access job site. Providing proof of vaccination is a condition of employment with Ian Martin” for this opportunity.
- The resource can work from home to start but will be required to work onsite in Edmonds at least 2 days per week once covid worksite restrictions lifted
If you’re a technical professional, you know that it can be difficult to find fulfilling work that advances your career. At the Ian Martin Group, we exist to connect professionals like you with meaningful work at industry-leading companies in your field. And we walk the walk, too: as a Certified B Corporation, we believe in using business as a force for good for people, our communities, and the environment.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.