Manager of Indirect Tax
· Saint John, New Brunswick (Remote Role)
· Full-time permanent position
· Competitive salary commensurate with experience, bonus, benefits
· Opportunity to work on the beautiful East coast, where you can enjoy the ocean at your door, untouched wilderness, pristine beaches, and affordable living – relocation assistance available
· Excellent remote opportunity with a well-established, stable company with a strong commitment to their employees, the environment, community, and the next generation
What you can expect in a typical day:
As a Manager on Irving Oil’s Indirect Tax team, you will lead a team of approximately 3 – 5 people. The role is responsible for management and oversight of the organization’s indirect tax regulatory compliance and the related external indirect tax audit functions.
What we offer:
• Named one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for six consecutive years
• Competitive salary, bonus and pension plan
• Flexible benefits plan, including a Health Spending Account
• Remote work opportunity and or a flexible work program available
• Wellness options including annual wellness allowance and paid personal care days
• Paid vacation and vacation purchasing options
• Personal and professional development opportunities
What you’ll need to succeed
• Provide leadership to the indirect tax department including coaching and mentoring to support the long-term strategic needs of the organization.
• Support the organization’s indirect tax reporting, statutory reporting, future cash flow projection and compliance obligations.
• Oversight for reporting and timely submission of indirect tax sales filings and account reconciliations. Review & approve Federal, Provincial and State Excise tax compliance filings and payments.
• Establish and maintain internal controls sufficient to identify and/or prevent material errors in indirect tax compliance filings.
• Foster an environment of continuous improvement and identify and recommend operational efficiencies within indirect tax as well as recommend processes within the overall Irving business to maintain compliance with indirect tax legislation and regulations.
• Develop and maintain strong relationships between indirect tax, finance and operations.
• Ensure the indirect tax function is appropriately staffed to satisfy operational needs.
• Ensure compliance with Corporate Governance and Grants of Authority.
• Contribute to Tax Scorecard by developing strategy and measures aligned with the larger Tax department and overall organizational strategy. Support key performance indicators and metrics for the Indirect Tax team.
• Processes to mitigate; tax appeals and litigation.
• Maintain a strong and positive working relationship with external taxing authorities for indirect tax matters.
• Participate in training, seminars or conferences as approved to further understanding and application of tax law.
• Participate in related projects as required.
• Strong leadership skills with the ability to mentor and lead cross functional teams.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Strong relationship building skills.
• Excellent time management skills and able to meet multiple deadlines.
• Good analytical skills.
• Expert MS Excel skills; VLOOKUPS, pivot tables, formulas, etc.
• Comprehensive understanding of tax budgeting and forecasting process
• Exceptional knowledge of Canadian tax laws and working knowledge of U.S. tax laws
• Excellent knowledge of IFRS tax accounting and reporting
Education and Experience
• Post-secondary education in accounting or finance. Undergraduate degree
• Master’s degree in tax or accounting designation would be an asset
• 7+ years relevant work experience
• 5+ years of leadership experience
• Experience in the energy business a significant asset
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
At Ian Martin, we connect people with meaningful work. We work with people like you for similar technical roles. If you apply, be sure to create a profile with us. That way, great technical jobs will come to you before they even get to the job boards!