Our client, a leader in the North American Energy market has an immediate need for a Marketing Accountant for a six month contract position in the Calgary head office location.
The Marketing Accountant is responsible for various accounting functions which support the back office and accounting operations of Tidal Energy Marketing, Oil & NGL’s division.
Monthly Cash Settlements and Invoicing
- Responsible for the invoicing and settlement process
- Assists with preparation of bank reconciliations
- Assists with wire payment setups, cash receipts and related verification of these transactions
- Verifies accuracy of tariffs and counterparties invoices
Monthly Accounting Close
- Prepares month end journal entries, accruals, and actuals.
- Works closely with Front Office marketing staff to ensure accuracy of monthly accruals.
- Prepares support and filings for government reporting
Accounting Input and Verification
- Prepares, verifies and inputs journal entries into general ledger system
- Verifies and inputs tariffs and shipper balances into accounting system
- Analysis and verification of revenue margins
- Analysis of inventory valuation and profit/loss
- Other financial account analysis
- Assists with development, documentation and effective operation of financial controls
- Assists with implementation of process and accounting system improvements
Reports to Supervisor, Crude Oil, Tidal Energy Marketing, Calgary.
Key Working Relationships with Tidal financial managers, marketing accounting staff, Front Office commercial marketing staff, Enterprise Risk, Audit Services, IT and External Auditors.
- Highly specialized and complex accounting discipline (commodity marketing and derivative accounting).
- Complex system relationships (financial systems, marketing operating systems and risk systems).
- Significant volumes of marketed commodity volumes and high cash flow levels.
- Scale and nature of business may result in high profile impacts on the parent company’s public financial reporting disclosures.
- Cross border transactions.
- Multiple customer groups require accurate and timely reporting routines.
- Interaction with management and professional support in multiple departments and work locations.
- Position supports alignment of accounting processes and procedures being followed by other Tidal marketing units.
- Dynamic working environment involving Front Office, Middle Office and Back Office.
- Ability to perform effectively under tight deadlines with multiple tasks.
- Very high standards on accounting accuracy.
- Ability to anticipate and respond to needs of various Corporate Office groups (Enterprise Risk, Audit Services, Internal Controls and IT).
- Need for strong ability to plan, organize and prioritize tasks.
- Ability to manage both functional and project type work assignments.
- University degree or education in a related financial discipline (accounting, finance or financial risk management).
- Professional accounting designation preferred.
- Three – five years of progressive working experience in a financial environment.
- Energy marketing accounting experience with crude oil, NGL’s and / or natural gas is required.
- Demonstrated strong analytical abilities.
- Effective at managing interpersonal relationships and strong communication skills.
- Experience with oil / natural gas marketing and risk systems would be considered an asset.
If you're a technical professional, you know that it can be difficult to find fulfilling work that advances your career. At the Ian Martin Group, we exist to connect professionals like you with meaningful work at industry-leading companies in your field. And we walk the walk, too: as a Certified B Corporation, we believe in using business as a force for good for people, our communities, and the environment.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.