Our market leading energy client has an immediate need for an Accounting Analyst to join their team for a 12-month contract position located at their Calgary office.
You are not brand new in your career, but you would also not consider yourself to be a seasoned veteran. You’re somewhere in-between. As ambiguous as this sounds, what you do know is that you want to take the next step to advance your accounting career. If this is the case, this is the role for you.
As part of the team that supports general and operational accounting, the role of the Accounting Analyst is to support the financial reporting and analysis processes. This role must deliver efficient, timely and accurate financial reporting in a harmonized manner, while ensuring that a robust internal control environment is maintained in accordance with International Financial Reporting Standards.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Analyze and prepare complex financial statements and reports.
- Perform daily activities including journal entries, bank requisitions, cash applications, and assist others with preparing their journal entries as needed.
- Perform monthly and quarterly close processes and post-close reporting; perform variance analytics and forecasting/planning activities.
- Balance Sheet Integrity (BSI), and other related activities.
- Interface and maintain connectivity with the businesses that are supported by financial processes delivered within the team.
- Contribute to the delivery of financial processes in an efficient, timely and accurate manner.
- Work with the various audit, tax and legal teams to provide key data.
- Interact with the business to provide appropriate financial data and support on ad hoc projects.
- Identify and implement continuous process improvements.
- Share best practices within the team and with customers.
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or Business related area.
- 5+ years of relevant accounting experience in related area(s).
- Experience with US GAAP.
- CPA designation.
- Strong financial system skills with SAP, Oracle, Hyperion, BW a plus and Microsoft applications especially Access and strong Excel skills.
- Strong understanding of how financial reporting and accounting processes function including system controls, financial controls and risk assessment.
- Strong analytical skills in financial reporting and accounting with a solid understanding of control processes, as well as the ability to notice and question when things look out of place.
- Highly motivated self-starter with the ability and willingness to take initiative: proactively promote, implement and uphold the principles, aspirations and strategies of the department/business unit/company.
- Ability to identify process gaps and implement process improvements.
- Strong communication, interpersonal and networking skills; ability to interpret and clearly communicate information, best practices and lessons learned with internal and external parties; able to make strong impact and significant contributions to the business while giving sound advice.
- Organized, with strong time management skills.
- Good business judgment in handling potentially sensitive business and people issues. Flexibility and adaptability in handling change; ability to manage multiple competing or conflicting priorities with a strong track record of delivery.
- Commitment to workplace safety.
If you're a technical professional, you know that it can be difficult to find fulfilling work that advances your career. At the Ian Martin Group, we exist to connect professionals like you with meaningful work at industry-leading companies in your field. And we walk the walk, too: as a Certified B Corporation, we believe in using business as a force for good for people, our communities, and the environment.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.