Our market leading energy client has an immediate need for an Accounting Analyst to join their team. This a 12-month contract position located at their Calgary office.
Your role is to provide meaningful, credible, and timely accounting research and technical accounting analysis of business transactions to support the accounting, within the financial statements. You will be responsible for independently researching and documenting highly complex technical accounting matters and business transactions as well as reviewing the work of senior advisors on the team. In addition to accounting research, you will be responsible for performing accounting and valuation due diligence for highly complex M&A targets and divestitures.
- Apply deep technical knowledge to research highly complex technical accounting matters, apply relevant technical guidance and interpretation, and identify appropriate accounting treatment.
- Prepare materials and write accounting position papers for highly complex technical accounting matters, ensuring the conclusions reached are reasonable, demonstrate a clear understanding of the business transaction, and contain applicable accounting guidance.
- Monitor standards set by GAAP and SEC that could impact the client's accounting policies, practices and disclosures, and understand the implications to the client.
- Prepare disclosures in periodic reports filed with the SEC as it relates to complex technical accounting matters and/or new or non-standard transactions, where necessary, and ensure accuracy and completeness of such information.
- Discuss with external auditors to resolve questions and comments on proposed accounting, and disclosures on complex technical accounting matters, when necessary.
- Maintain strong relationships with the various Finance and Corporate Development/Business Development departments to serve as a technical accounting resource for highly complex technical accounting inquiries.
- Provide day-to-day management of efforts to adopt new accounting pronouncements and ensure consistency of adoption across all business units, by developing a comprehensive project plan that addresses all impacted areas of the client (accounting, tax, controls, IT, operations, etc.).
- Develop and deliver technical accounting training to address new accounting standards and technical accounting requirements for impacted groups within Finance and Corporate Development/Business Development departments.
- Assist with communications to stakeholders (financial reporting, tax, controls, IT, operations, etc.) of potential implications of accounting matters and new accounting pronouncements related to their respective areas.
- Provide guidance and support to Accounting Research & Valuations senior advisors in performing their day-to-day responsibilities.
- Provide accounting and valuation due diligence for merger and acquisition targets and divestitures.
- Four-year university degree in Accounting, Business Administration or equivalent.
- 10+ years of directly related accounting experience.
- Professional accounting designation (CPA or CA).
- Big 4 Accounting Experience.
- Strong working knowledge of U.S. GAAP and SEC rules and regulations.
- Proven team player with the ability to develop and maintain collaborative working relationships, while demonstrating a high level of cooperation and mutual respect.
- Strong organizational, analytical, writing and problem-solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including verbal and written communication.
- Must be a highly motivated self-starter, well organized and able to handle multiple tasks.
- Able to work independently with little supervision.
If you're a technical professional, you know that it can be difficult to find fulfilling work that advances your career. At the Ian Martin Group, we exist to connect professionals like you with meaningful work at industry-leading companies in your field. And we walk the walk, too: as a Certified B Corporation, we believe in using business as a force for good for people, our communities, and the environment.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.