Are you a recent graduate with a Masters or PHD in Geological Engineering? If so we have an exciting one year contract opportunity with a top utility client in the lower mainland of British Columbia.
Experience and Role Accountabilities
- Prepare project documentation and deliverables in accordance with project and Engineering Design Practices (i.e. evaluation reports, technical specifications, proposals, estimates, design basis', calculations, hazard logs, test plans).
- Plan and coordinate projects including preparation of project plans, design basis, field reviews and project reports, and specifications.
- Prepare signed/sealed engineering deliverables as Professional of Record (PoR) in accordance with EGBC Design Practices.
- Provide technical assistance and construction support in the field and undertake field reviews as required by EGBC.
- Prepare engineering analysis and design deliverables in accordance with Design Practices.
- Provide technical assistance and construction field support and undertake field reviews.
- Site investigation planning, supervision and inspection for stations and dams including: layout of drill holes, test pits, field mapping, specification of test requirements, preparation and implementation of interim dam safety risk management plans, in-situ testing, logging of soils and rock, collecting samples, and the installation of instrumentation etc.
- Collection, analysis and interpretation of data obtained from site investigations and other published sources, including survey data, LiDAR, satellite imagery, GIS, soil maps, papers, reports, etc.
- Characterize soil and bedrock into distinct units and estimate engineering parameters for design based on the geologic history, site investigation data, and other published sources.
- Develop geologic models based on an interpretation of available sources, including published sources, investigation data and other sources.
- Assess the potential for and impacts of geohazards, including faults, earthquake hazards, landslides, weak soils, etc.
- Design of rockfall protection measures including, mesh, anchors, shotcrete, barriers, etc.
- Perform stability and seepage analyses of embankments, slopes and excavations
- Perform embankment dam foundation design and performance assessment, including grouting, assessment and design of drainage, rock characterization, seepage cut-off, etc.
- Design of geotechnical instrumentation and field installation. Knowledge of both conventional and remote sensing techniques including: weirs, inclinometers and earth pressure cells, fibre optic sensors, Automatic Data Acquisition Systems, downhole and crosshole seismic, SP, distributed temperature monitoring, etc.
- Design of ground improvement and grouting programs; knowledge of grouting techniques for improvement of soil properties and permeability reduction including: grout mix design, tremie grouting, compaction grouting, jet grouting, grout curtains, cut off walls, void filling, dam foundation grouting, grout monitoring and control techniques.
- Perform analysis related to geotechnical earthquake engineering and seismic hazard, liquefaction potential, seismic and deformation analysis of embankment dams, slopes, retaining structures, foundations etc.
- Site supervision of earthwork construction.
- Spatial analysis and assessment of geotechnical data in GIS.
- Other miscellaneous services of a geotechnical engineering nature.
- Document review for the development of 3D CADD and GIS models.
Additional Education and Skills
- Degree in Geological Engineering.
- Valid British Columbia Class 5 driver’s license.
- Currently registered as a Professional Engineer with the Engineers and Geoscientists BC (EGBC).
- Knowledge and experience in geological engineering including:
- Rock mechanics
- Surficial geology mapping
- Soils and rock characterization
- Local and regional geologic history
- Geologic models
- Soil mechanics
- Site investigation
- In-situ testing and lab testing
- Deformation and seepage analyses
- Dam engineering and analysis
- Dam performance assessment
- Dam surveillance, geotechnical instrumentation and monitoring
- Grouting and ground improvement
- Seismic hazard, and geotechnical earthquake engineering
- Seepage and groundwater transport
- Slope stability analysis
- Design of rockfall protection measures
- Working knowledge of relevant software, including Rocscience products (RS2, RocFall. Dips, etc., Geoslope (Slope/w, Seep/w, etc.), FLAC, PLAXIS,VERSAT, FEFLOW, MODFLOW, etc.
- Ability to work independently, exercising judgment and initiative with limited supervision.
- Ability to analyze and resolve challenging and unusual engineering problems by incorporating innovative design and/or analysis methods.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
- Strong proficiency of both written and oral communication in English and be able to prepare well-written technical reports and clearly present work to an audience.
- Ability to provide technical directions to junior engineers
- Ability to manage design tasks including scope, schedule and cost
- Ability to find engineering solutions that add value and to reach consensus
- Ability to communicate efficiently including verbal and technical writing in the English language, analytical, interpersonal communications and presentation skills
- Experience in project management including estimating, cost control, and project administration
Looking for Meaningful Work? We can help!
If you're a technical professional, you know that it can be difficult to find fulfilling work that advances your career. At the Ian Martin Group, we exist to connect professionals like you with meaningful work at industry-leading companies in your field. And we walk the walk, too: as a Certified B Corporation, we believe in using business as a force for good for people, our communities, and the environment.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.