Our Public sector client is looking for a Controller in Toronto, ON for a 17 month contract.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
To manage the integrity of all financial information including oversight of the accurate and timely completion and reporting of all financial activities and leadership of back office system related projects to ensure a high level of data quality and reporting.
- Leads the development of financial reporting and information requirements for PHO; develops and enhances the financial reporting systems and processes, to meet the needs of internal customers;
- Leads/reviews and develops Internal Control policies/procedures ensuring sufficient segregation of functions to safeguard assets and to ensure the integrity and accuracy of financial data provided to internal/external users;
- Develops and implements, as and when required, benchmarking and related monitoring strategies;
- Create standardized reporting format for statistical and financial information that builds strong linkages between financials and PHO mandate/strategic plan
- Evaluates the overall budgetary reporting and information requirements for PHO; develops and enhances the reporting systems and processes to meet the needs of PHO’s internal customers;
- Analyzes and develops budgeting and operational data reporting for senior management’s’ decision making; ensures financial information for audit, financial reporting and cash flows is automated, designs and modifies electronic financial management reports using Prophix;
- Initiates and approves banking transfers and uses signing authority, as identified in the Delegation of Authority document;
- Contributes to the development and implementation of the department’s mandate and operating procedures by taking a significant role in the identification of new projects that fit PHO’s mandate;
- Manages PHO corporate credit card programs (purchasing card and travel cards); oversees issues, use and related reporting; Leads SharePoint initiatives that enable increased electronic workflow and single Point storage.
- Manages and coordinates the accuracy of monthly reports of Third Party Funds, (e.g., research grants, segregated donations), tracks financial activities and prepares reports for Government agencies
- Manages and directs staff, to ensure congruence with PHO’s internal policies and procedures, professional standards, Collective Agreement requirements and other relevant standards, legislation or regulations, including: providing direction and leadership in the implementation of new techniques and standards; assigning staff and implementing work/vacation schedules; setting clear responsibilities and objectives and evaluating performance; advising on training needs, participating in recruitment and selection of staff; dealing with disciplinary issues and responding to grievances in conjunction with PHO’s Human Resources management programs;
- Leads a variety of special projects focused on process improvement and provides input into overall financial policies/procedures for the department and PHO;
- Manages the development and delivery of training programs on controllership across PHO
- Manages collaborative working relationships internally and externally; participates/chairs corporate meetings/committees;
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Undergraduate degree in accounting or business administration with preference for a post graduate degree ;
- Professional designation – CPA, CA, CMA, CGA
- A minimum of ten years financial managerial experience with a large, complex, service based organization, preferably within a healthcare environment.
- Solid understanding of information management frameworks and principles, business intelligence, as well as key enterprise processes and tools that support effective decision making
- A track record of responsiveness in solving customer challenges
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), with business analysis skills and knowledge of financial and related organizational systems in order to develop and coordinate budget reporting activities within PHO;
- Skilled in managing and delivering multiple projects, to enable decision-making and measurement of results;
- Knowledge of and proficiency in the use of various computerized Accounting systems (particularly AccPac, Prophix and of MS Office software including: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, SharePoint, Visio and presentation applications.
- Oral communications skills, to: manage working relationships at all levels within and outside PHO; facilitate groups and deliver learning/training sessions and presentations to staff on Full Cost Financial Reporting, Position Control Reporting;
- Written communication skills, to: prepare briefing notes, letters, presentations and a wide variety of other materials, including policies/procedures on business processes, educational material, forecasts, budgetary and operational reports, in standard and non-standard formats such as electronic financial management reports, Third Party Funds and financial reports for Government agencies;
- Interpersonal, consultation, team building and relationship management skills, to: work with other members of the Finance team; interact with all levels of management, staff and clients using discretion and diplomacy; interpret/translate specialized information/concepts to non-financial staff; facilitate learning/training sessions; make presentations; participate on corporate meetings, committees and/or working groups.