Our client who is a leader in the North American Energy market has an immediate need for an Azure™ Cloud Architect to join their team for a four (4) month contract (with a very good chance of extension) based in Calgary.
A successful candidate must be comfortable working in fast moving and complex enterprise environments. The Cloud Operations and Design team focuses on ensuring availability of the Cloud environment deployed in Microsoft Azure™ and completing deployments of complex solutions into the environment. This environment includes but is not limited to servers (IaaS), DBaaS, functions, containers, messaging and integration technologies, HPC solutions, App Service, AI/ML, DevOps technologies, and storage.
The Azure Cloud Architect will report to the Manager, Cloud Design & Operations and will be tasked with assisting in the design, implementation, management, and support of the Azure environment. The candidate will contribute to the development and maturity of the Azure environment through the design and implementation of high-quality cloud solutions. A strong focus will be placed on cloud lifecycle management, automation, industry best-practices, and ensuring the security and protection of data in the cloud environment.
- Create enterprise solution architecture for cloud solutions ranging in complexity from single resource to many resources
- Assist the operations and applications team(s) where necessary implementing cloud solutions
- Provide senior level Azure technical support, issue diagnosis and troubleshooting to internal teams and other stakeholders.
- Prioritize and manage multiple high priority activities and provide creative and effective solutions to problems rapidly, on an ongoing basis.
- Increase the agility and reduce manual effort through the use of automation.
- Apply DevOps practices to assist in building IaC capabilities using ARM templates and Azure DevOps.
- Mentor operations and application team members in the operation and support to the Azure environment.
- Create documentation for cloud solutions both for internal cloud team use and for other support teams as required
- Support the creation of a container strategy in Azure utilizing services such as AKS (Azure Kubernetes Service), ACI (Azure Container Instances) and/or Web Apps for Containers including the containerization of existing applications
- Assist in the transition of legacy monolithic application systems to lightweight cloud microservices
- Assist in the design and implementation of cloud-based integration and orchestration technologies
How this person contributes in the master plan
Our client has created an 18-month roadmap for addressing IT needs focusing heavily on increasing cloud capabilities and retiring legacy systems. This candidate will assist in building these capabilities for IDA project and providing support of the new cloud systems.
- Diploma in Computer Science or equivalent education and 10 years’ experience in IT support positions.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience using Microsoft Azure
- Microsoft Azure certification (Preferred certification Microsoft Azure Solutions Architect Expert)
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to work with minimum supervision across multiple teams.
- Customer focused and strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work across functional stakeholders in IS and business.
- Strong communications skills, both written and verbal, to exert a positive influence and work collaboratively with IT and business teams.
- Demonstrated knowledge/familiarity in the following areas:
- Microsoft Azure cloud administration, deployment, and design
- Experience with managing Azure IaaS technologies including VM’s and VM Scale Sets
- Experience with Azure PaaS technologies including functions, DBaaS, Messaging and Integration, App Service, and Storage
- Experience with deploying containers in Azure with technologies such as AKS and ACS (Preferred experience with AKS) and managing the container lifecycle
- Experience working with PowerShell and other scripting languages
- Experience building and deploying complex ARM (Azure Resource Manager) templates
- Experience assessing applications for migration to the cloud with tools such as Azure Migrate
- Experience designing and implementing a microservices based approach to application systems
- Experience working with REST API’s
- Strong understanding of the effects of network latency on applications and mitigation strategies that can be applied
- Preferred knowledge/familiarity in the following areas:
- Experience with Azure DevOps including Azure Pipelines
- Experience working with HPC and AI/ML technologies in Azure
- Experience developing and deploying microservices with Node.JS and .Net Core
- Experience with REST, SOAP, and GraphQl API’s
- Office 365 Power Platform
- Experience with one or more of the following platforms is also an asset:
- OpenText Directory Services
- OpenText Dynamic Case Management
- OpenText Enterprise Content Management
- Tibco Business Works
- Tibco Enterprise Message Service
Other skills deemed necessary
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Strong understanding of the Azure ARM platform
Microsoft Azure™ certification (Preferred certification Microsoft Azure Solutions Architect Expert)
If you're a technical professional, you know that it can be difficult to find fulfilling work that advances your career. At the Ian Martin Group, we exist to connect professionals like you with meaningful work at industry-leading companies in your field. And we walk the walk, too: as a Certified B Corporation, we believe in using business as a force for good for people, our communities, and the environment.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.