We are looking for an Engineering and Construction Project Manager on behalf of one of North America’s leading natural gas distributors.
Projects: Liquid Pipeline Core Projects, i.e. Maintenance, smaller expansions
Contract Duration: One Year(High Chance of Getting extension)
- Managing 5-7 projects simultaneously.
- Each project team is 5-15 people. Accountable for the results of each project they lead.
- This person will manage core projects predictably and competitively to meet the scope, schedule, safety, environment, quality, and financial objectives of each project.
- Actively participating in the development of the scope of work, schedule, costs, and risks of assigned projects ensure the project plan can be successfully executed, before transition execution.
- Understanding and effectively using the project management systems and strong, disciplined project management practices to achieve positive scope, schedule, quality, and cost results and manage and mitigate risks on each project.
- Monitor and report on project progress.
- Actively monitoring the performance of each project, using key performance indicators, and taking the necessary actions to correct adverse situations or trends.
- Implement and manage changes when necessary to meet project objectives.
- Regularly reporting the project status stakeholders and management, proactively escalating issues as needed.
- Staffing Project – Leading project teams by ensuring they are staffed and capable to meet the challenges and objectives of each project and removing barriers to success.
- Performance Monitoring – Ensuring the performance of project team members is regularly shared and communicated with functional leaders.
- Lead quality assurance – Ensuring projects comply with Company standards, specifications, practices and procedures, and government regulations and codes by maintaining high standards of performance.
- Continuous Improvement – Identity process improvement opportunities and support change initiatives.
- Building relationships and collaborating with project stakeholders by understanding their needs, through early engagement in decisions and plans that affect them while addressing and resolving issues.
- Complexity/Problem Solving/Independence – Demonstrates broad business and technical knowledge in resolving problems, project management, identifying opportunities, and has a keen awareness of interrelationships with other stakeholders.
- Communication – Ability to, concisely, and effectively communicate. Proactively inform People Leader if progress on tasks or assignments is better or worse than expected (surprises).
- Project Teams – Lead diverse project teams of professionals and support staff, in a strong matrix structure, who may be located in multiple locations.
- Project Dimensions -1- 10 Core Level 1, or Level 2 projects ranging from $200,000 $50,000,000 and cumulative budget of $10,000,000 $150,000,000.
- Identifying the roles and securing the resources needed for each project. Establish a project team with input from functional groups.
- Ensuring the project team has the capability and capacity to successfully perform their tasks.
- Teambuilding, support development of team members, recognizing and rewarding of individuals and the project team for exceeding expectations.
- Demonstrate the influential leadership project team.
- Operating Budget: $1,000,000 – $25,000,000
- Unbudgeted Operating: Decision-making authority up $250,000 and provide recommendations Manager for up $1,000,000
- Unbudgeted Capital: Provide recommendations to manager on decisions up $200,000
- Approved Operational and Capital Expenditures: Decision-making authority up $1,000,000 and provide recommendations manager on decisions up $5,000,000
- University degree, or related engineering, construction, operational or project management training and/or experience
- 6 years, or more, of progressively responsible related working experience in the pipeline industry, with 3 or more years related to project management.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Strong working knowledge of project management methods and techniques, PMP certification or equivalent is a plus.
- Strong leadership and management, including organizational and planning skills.
- Lead meetings and set expectations for the project team and stakeholders.
- Successfully negotiate win-win solutions.
- Predict and find issues and potential risks before they arise and implement plans to manage them.
- Taking immediate and independent action to resolve issues or problems when they arise.
- Conveying a strong sense of urgency and driving issues closure.