The ME Specialist/CNC Programmer is responsible for CNC programming of a range of machine tools and for the estimating and execution of a broad range of manufacturing projects from commercial and custom manufactured parts to sophisticated nuclear equipment.
- CNC Programming of multi-axis Lathes, Mills, EDM and Mill-turn equipment with ESPRIT CAM software including solid modeling of high-precision parts, selection of tooling and manufacturing techniques.
- Interface with shop machinists to debug and optimize new and existing programs.
- Prepare detailed cost estimates for custom-engineered manufacturing projects including electro-mechanical automation, tooling, welded fabrications, machining, field services, testing.
- Plan and lead jobs through manufacturing including machining, welding, assembly and test. Write instructions (shop travelers) for in-house activities, manufacturing sketches, weld map records, assembly/test specs, etc. Identify and procure required tooling.
- Load Manufacturing Bills of Material from engineering BOM’s, on JD Edwards MRP system. Perform make vs buy evaluations. Requisition purchased parts and materials for in-house manufactured items.
- Manage design changes and maintain configuration of the design during manufacturing.
- Participate in manufacturability reviews with engineering to identify manufacturing cost or schedule improvements during product design stage.
- Lead and participate in project meetings related to schedules and budgets, including meetings with customers.
- Prepare schedule inputs for projects, including task planning to optimize lead times.
- Troubleshoot production problems with design and manufacturing teams, including recommending dispositions for non-conformances.
- Lead or participate in teams carrying out work at customer sites.
- College/University graduate in an Engineering discipline or Journeyman (4+ years) machinist, toolmaker, assembler, technician with 5+ years of experience.
- 5+ years of CNC/CAM programming and solid modelling experience, 2D, 3D machining on lathes, 5-axis mills, mill-turn equipment, preferably with ESPRIT software.
- 3+ years of manufacturing planning experience in custom engineered equipment industry.
- In-depth knowledge and experience with machining (conventional + CNC/CAM), fitting/welding, assembly and materials including stainless steels, Al-bronze, nickel alloys, zirconium, etc.
- Knowledge or experience with metrology, Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerances (GD&T), blueprint reading.
- High level of proficiency with data analysis and management including spreadsheet tools, MRP systems, etc.
- Demonstrated ability in project planning / execution, including development of processes / procedures and process improvements.
- Very strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Basic knowledge of common non-destructive examination (NDE) techniques.
- Experience working with ASME Code rules for identification and traceability of materials, manufacturing processes, testing etc.
- Experience with instrumentation and control equipment, PLC systems, industrial automation, wiring diagrams, electrical schematics, instrument calibration.
- Technical writing experience including procedures, customer proposals, technical reports.
- Experience in cost-estimating multi-disciplined equipment and facility projects.
- Experience with Primavera (P6) project scheduling software.
- Experience in the nuclear industry is considered an asset but not required.