Our client who is a leader in the North American Energy market has an immediate need for a Microsoft Exchange Consultant to strengthen the existing technical team’s ability to successfully deliver a new fully supported Exchange environment with minimal disruption to the business owners. This is a 10 month contract based in Calgary.
The existing Exchange environment currently uses Exchange 2010, which is scheduled to go “end of life” with no further support from Microsoft in 2020. In addition, the Exchange services are hosted on servers which are running Windows Server 2008 operating system, which will also go “end of life” in 2020 again with no further support available from Microsoft. To resolve this, and reduce potential risk to the Exchange environment, the decision was made to migrate from an on-premises environment to Office 365, thus solving the following:
- Provide an alternate solution to the current on-prem exchange environment which will go end of life in 2020.
- Address the lack of further support from Microsoft Exchange 2010.
- Address the lack of further support for the Windows server 2008 operating system.
- Provide a platform to upgrade the current exchange environment, which would provide automatic updates/patches in the Microsoft hosted cloud environment.
- Reduce the client’s Data Center footprint and associated support cost by migrating workload to the cloud. (This will be realized once all mailboxes are moved to the cloud).
- Address the existing ISB Disaster Recovery gap for Exchange platform.
- Move the existing Exchange environment to the cloud, whilst maintaining the business needs of the client.
- Migrate the client’s mailboxes to Cloud Environment. Estimated number is approximately 4,200.
- Provide an alternate solution to the current Exchange environment which goes end of life in 2020.
- Provide an alternate solution to the current Windows Server 2008 operating system which goes end of life in 2020.
- Completion of solution design.
- Completion of migration of pilot users.
- Update to migration process post pilot (if required).
- Completion of migration phase.
- Acceptance of new Exchange environment.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Assist in defining the project scope, requirements and needs.
- Complete solution design including:
- Account provisioning (Plus Service Desk training).
- Mailbox cleanup.
- Shared mailboxes conversion/rationalization and cleanup.
- Mail retention.
- Mobile devices.
- Assist in the planning and development of the migration schedule.
- Assist in the planning and integration of mail security solution.
- Provide guidance and work with other stakeholders on mail clients upgrade (e.g. Outlook).
- Complete the migration of a selection of Pilot users to the new Exchange environment.
- Review Pilot and update migration processes as needed.
- Complete migration of remaining staff/users to new environment.
- Provide tier 2 and 3 support during the migration phase of the project.
- Advise on mail support for legacy applications (e.g. SMTP).
Skills & Qualifications
- Deep understanding and knowledge of Active Directory, Microsoft Exchange and Azure AD environments.
- Prior hands on experience migrating on-premises Exchange 2010 environments to Office 365.
- Prior mailbox migration experience, scheduling migration batches and process management.
- Able to work in small or large teams (3-10 people).
- Use their knowledge and expertise to provide input to the solution design and potential alternate options.
- Ability to work independently.
- Communication skills.
- Working with Sprint iterations and backlog grooming.
- Working in teams and understanding the roles of each person on the project team.
- Create and maintain technical documentation.
- Knowledge of multi-factor authentication tools and their successful deployment in an enterprise environment.
- Demonstrate their knowledge and expertise of on-premises Exchange to Cloud migrations.
- Ability to think laterally and solve technical issues as they occur.
- MCSE certified.
If you're a technical professional, you know that it can be difficult to find fulfilling work that advances your career. At the Ian Martin Group, we exist to connect professionals like you with meaningful work at industry-leading companies in your field. And we walk the walk, too: as a Certified B Corporation, we believe in using business as a force for good for people, our communities, and the environment.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.