Our client, one of Canada’s largest energy companies has an immediate need for a Network Engineer to join their team for a one year contract opportunity in their Calgary head office location.
As a member of the TIS Network Services team the Network Planning Specialist is responsible for the development, delivery, ongoing maintenance and optimization of business-critical, integrated enterprise-wide infrastructure including LAN, WAN, wireless, etc.
Technical Project Leadership
• Provide leadership to complex telecom and network-based technical projects initiated from the business or internally to TIS
• Manage all technical aspects of assigned projects, including project charters, stake holder engagement, design, resource and cost allocation, implementation and delivery, sustainment and project closure
• Develop and implement enterprise IT strategies and strategic direction to provide superior business support to supported business groups.
• Drive strategic planning initiatives related to the Information Technology department.
• Responsible for Technology Design, Standards and Roadmaps.
• Provide leadership at an enterprise level on technology specific councils.
Business Unit Support and Relationship Building:
• Lead problem resolution activities in resolving escalated incidents from operations teams or other TIS support groups in a timely manner
• Understand and align with client customers’ requirements.
• Manage customers’ needs through timely and efficient completion of project deliverables.
• Build a knowledge base of each customers business, systems and objectives.
• Continually seek opportunities to increase customer satisfaction.
• Provide direction to effectively manage customers’ needs.
• Provide input and proactive support regarding the development and/or selection of third party computer based applications.
• Work with junior staff to document system deficiencies and recommend solutions.
• Hold regular status meetings with project teams.
• Manage software installations, conversions and/or upgrades within specified budgets and schedules.
• Meet with vendors, customers, and direct reports on problem diagnosis, resolution, and application updates.
Operational Oversight and Guidance:
• Provide operational oversight of IT projects and work requests for supported businesses.
• Communicate and contributing in change advisory board (CAB).
• Recommend areas of improvement in internal processes and provide possible solutions.
• Create, review, comply with and help to enforce standard policies and procedures.
• Utilize internal IT project management, service management, quality assurance methodologies, tools and technologies.
Staff Development and Performance Management:
• Coach, mentor, and provide technical leadership.
• Mentor team members.
• Actively encourage junior staff to participate in training and development in the form of company training, technical and business training, as well as relevant user conferences.
Core Competencies and Professional Qualities:
• Empower team members to make innovative contributions and embrace new ideas.
• Proactively initiate, develop, and maintain effective working relationships with peers and peer groups.
• Effectively communicate difficult/sensitive information.
• Challenge others to develop their professional and technical leadership abilities.
• Identify opportunities for improvement and make constructive suggestions for change.
• Stay on the forefront of emerging industry practices.
• Technical expertise relied upon for high level design, engineering, implementation and diagnostic and complex problem analysis regarding local and wide area networks and telecommunication environments.
• Monitors service and controls the performance and status of the enterprise network.
• Interaction with the third party vendors in planning and problem resolution as well as acquisition of repair services and materials.
• Researches external environment for best practices, current and emerging technology advances in Networking.
Personal Development and Training:
• Maintain knowledge of current technologies deployed in the organization.
• Proactively seek opportunities to broaden and deepen knowledge base and proficiencies.
• Share acquired skills with team members through formal and informal channels.
• Assist with the orientation and training of newly hired employees.
• Seek and participate in personal development opportunities above and beyond training required by our client.
• Related University degree or a two year technical diploma.
• 7+ years of enterprise network engineering experience.
• Extensive experience with load-balancers, Cisco Routers, Cisco Switches, and Firewalls and other security devices.
• Expert knowledge of multicast and unicast routing and switching protocols .
• Expert level understanding of complex campus LAN wired/wireless infrastructure design, as well as Voice and Video technologies
• Excellent understanding of networked applications and be able to analyze application flows for a variety of common enterprise applications.
• Extensive experience with various telemetry transport technologies, including MPLS, VPN and Satellite
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Ability to achieve results through working with a large group of peers in related functions.
• Fluency in spoken and written English is required.
• Self-starter, assume additional responsibility without being asked.
• Skills and experience in related disciplines such as Project Management, Change Management and Operations Management.
• Passport required for occasional travel between the US and Canada.
NICE TO HAVES:
• Extensive architectural and hands on experience building and deploying Cloud connectivity and networks, including but not limited to AWS, Azure and Oracle
• Work performed in typical office and field environments with occasional travel.
• “On call” evening and weekend work could be required and during emergency situations.
If you're a technical professional, you know that it can be difficult to find fulfilling work that advances your career. At the Ian Martin Group, we exist to connect professionals like you with meaningful work at industry-leading companies in your field. And we walk the walk, too: as a Certified B Corporation, we believe in using business as a force for good for people, our communities, and the environment.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.