TITLE: Network Engineer II
As a member of the TIS Network Services team the Network Planning Specialist is responsible for the development, delivery, ongoing maintenance and optimization of business-critical, integrated enterprise-wide infrastructure including LAN, WAN, wireless, etc.
Technical Project Leadership
- Provide leadership to complex telecom and network-based technical projects initiated from the business or internally to TIS
- Manage all technical aspects of assigned projects, including project charters, stake holder engagement, design, resource and cost allocation, implementation and delivery, sustainment and project closure
- Develop and implement enterprise IT strategies and strategic direction to provide superior business support to supported business groups.
- Drive strategic planning initiatives related to the Information Technology department.
- Responsible for Technology Design, Standards and Roadmaps.
- Provide leadership at an enterprise level on technology specific councils.
Business Unit Support and Relationship Building:
- Lead problem resolution activities in resolving escalated incidents from operations teams or other TIS support groups in a timely manner
- Understand and align with client customers’ requirements.
Manage customers’ needs through timely and efficient completion of project deliverables.
- Build a knowledge base of each customers business, systems and objectives.
- Continually seek opportunities to increase customer satisfaction.
- Provide direction to effectively manage customers’ needs.
- Provide input and proactive support regarding the development and/or selection of third-party computer based applications.
- Work with junior staff to document system deficiencies and recommend solutions.
- Hold regular status meetings with project teams.
- Manage software installations, conversions and/or upgrades within specified budgets and schedules.
- Meet with vendors, customers, and direct reports on problem diagnosis, resolution, and application updates.
Core Competencies and Professional Qualities:
- Empower team members to make innovative contributions and embrace new ideas.
- Proactively initiate, develop, and maintain effective working relationships with peers and peer groups.
- Effectively communicate difficult/sensitive information.
Challenge others to develop their professional and technical leadership abilities.
- Identify opportunities for improvement and make constructive suggestions for change.
- Stay on the forefront of emerging industry practices.
- Technical expertise relied upon for high level design, engineering, implementation and diagnostic and complex problem analysis regarding local and wide area networks and telecommunication environments.
- Monitors service and controls the performance and status of the enterprise network.
- Interaction with the third party vendors in planning and problem resolution as well as acquisition of repair services and materials.
- Researches external environment for best practices, current and emerging technology advances in Networking.
- Related University degree or a two-year technical diploma.
- 7+ years of enterprise network engineering experience.
- Cisco Certification is preferred but not a requirement
- Deep experience with Alcatel and Nokia radio and routing platform
- Architectural and hands on experience with Cloud
- Extensive experience with load-balancers, Cisco Routers, Cisco Switches, and Firewalls and other security devices.
- Expert knowledge of multicast and unicast routing and switching protocols.
- Expert level understanding of complex campus LAN wired/wireless infrastructure design, as well as Voice and Video technologies
- Excellent understanding of networked applications and be able to analyze application flows for a variety of common enterprise applications.
- Extensive experience with various telemetry transport technologies, including MPLS, VPN and Satellite
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to achieve results through working with a large group of peers in related functions.
- Fluency in spoken and written English is required.
- Self-starter, assume additional responsibility without being asked.
- Skills and experience in related disciplines such as Project Management, Change Management and Operations Management.
- Passport required for occasional travel between the US and Canada.
• Work performed in typical office and field environments with occasional travel.
• “On call” evening and weekend work could be required and during emergency situations.