Our client who is a leader in the North American energy market has an immediate need for a Portfolio Project Specialist. This would be a six month contract position based in their Calgary head office location.
Position reports to:
Manager, Discipline Engineering & Projects
The Area Portfolio Project Specialist (APPS) will use the Capital (CA) and Project Management (PRM) Programs to support:
- The Operations stakeholders in ensuring the “Right” projects are selected and budgeted for execution in their assigned Operating Areas hence fulfilling the organizational and corporate strategies.
- The Maintenance Projects Team in ensuring the projects are executed “Right” by properly resourcing them and continually monitoring them to support the efficient and effective deployment of maintenance capital dollars.
- The Organization in continually reviewing, reallocating, reprioritizing, and optimizing the portfolios to ensure the business needs are met (ongoing alignment of the organization’s evolving goals and market opportunities).
- Provide leadership in developing, promoting and sustaining safety polices and culture.
- Ensure all projected selected for execution are justified, properly budgeted and in alignment with the Area Operating Strategy
- Ensure mitigation plans are in place in a timely fashion for all high and medium risks projects as outlined in the risk register.
- Ensure projects in portfolios are properly planned, budgeted and resourced for efficient project execution.
- Continually monitor portfolios to ensure projects meet the organizational strategies for which they were selected.
- Work on a regular basis with Area Management Teams (AMTs) to facilitate the development and maintenance of the Long Range Capital Forecasts (5 year look ahead) for assigned Operating Areas.
- Work on a regular basis with AMTs to ensure projects for execution are in alignment with the Area Operating Strategy
- On behalf of the Area Leads, organize the development, management, and close out of the annual maintenance budget for assigned Operating Areas.
- Track and report on a regular basis the annual maintenance capital portfolio project planning and execution status and key metrics (projects execution, schedule, monthly and quarterly cost forecasts, etc.)
- Meet with the PMs on a regular basis to ensure monthly project prioritizations are done correctly and projects cash flow forecast is accurate.
- Continuously ensure the portfolios remain populated with the right projects for execution (prioritization, sequencing and balancing of portfolios).
- Manage key portfolio performance indicators.
- Implement controls to monitor spending and execute mitigation actions as required.
- Ensure the Maintenance Projects teams are adhering to the Capital Program (CA) and Project Management Program (PRM) processes and procedures.
- Coordinate with Maintenance Projects departmental managers and Supply Chain manager to ensure the proper resourcing (PMs, PEs, CCs, PSCM) of projects in the portfolios. This will include:
- Project execution team allocation to projects by senior management
- Continual review and balancing of resources to ensure efficient execution
- Act as a single point of communication and interface with all relevant stakeholders (PMs, PEs, PSCM, AMTs, APTs) for project status (budgets, cots forecasts, risks, execution schedule, project cancellation, holds, deferrals, substitutions) in the assigned Operating Areas
- Lead stakeholders to determine opportunities for cost reductions and drive optimization in existing infrastructure, while strictly adhering to the Operating Areas risk mitigation strategies.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders
- Strong interpersonal, communication, facilitation and presentation skills
- Multi-tasking with excellent organizational skills
- Strong MS Office skills (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Provide high level governance to meet strategic operation objectives (see the “big” picture)
- Understand risks associated with Owner’s operations (regulatory, safety, environmental, process safety, reliability …)
- Understand asset management processes and strategic maintenance from an Owner’s perspective
- Identify, prioritize, manage and monitor a large portfolio of projects
- Be assertive and confident
- Be able to negotiate and convince/influence
- Have leadership skills and exhibit effective leadership behaviors
- Build trust by managing expectations (laterally, upwards and downwards), creating rapport with all interactions
- Have a sense of urgency (don’t let stakeholders wait); own issues and follow through
- Have financial skills in developing and managing budgets & forecasts
- Have an understanding of RCFA (root cause failure analysis) processes that drive to root cause/condition.
- Proven portfolio and project management skills
- Previous experience in natural gas gathering, processing and transmission
- Broad experience with regulatory, safety, environmental, process safety, and reliability
- Good understanding of financial project evaluation techniques (such as: ROI, NPV, IRR, DCF, etc…)
- University Degree in Engineering
- Professional Engineering (example: P.Eng.) or Project Management Professional (PMP) designation
- 5 years’ experience in sustaining projects, maintenance projects or industrial operations
- 10 years’ experience in progressive management of industrial projects
- Valid Driver’s license
If you're a technical professional, you know that it can be difficult to find fulfilling work that advances your career. At the Ian Martin Group, we exist to connect professionals like you with meaningful work at industry-leading companies in your field. And we walk the walk, too: as a Certified B Corporation, we believe in using business as a force for good for people, our communities, and the environment.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.