Process Control Supervisor – Power Engineer – 1st Class
Manitoba Operations is looking for experienced and qualified Power Engineers to be responsible for our utilities processes.
- Manage systems within the area of accountability to achieve the following outputs;
- Zero Harm to employees, the business, the environment and the community
- Achieve/exceed production quality & quantity targets while maximizing economic resources and recovery,
- Achieve total product and unit cost, and capital (as applicable) expenditure targets
- Manage the Utilities operations area working with maintenance to execute annual plans, and mitigate impact of plant upsets. Reliably provide power and piped utilities to the Manitoba Operations, treat water from the Birchtree Mine. Provide day to day and off shift technical support to the Manager.
- Support Manager in the development and management of the cost and capital expenditure budget.
- Execute the implementation of new management systems.
- Utilize data collection systems to identify and implement change to reduce process variability..
- Lead a unionized and non-unionized workforce, talent pool development and planning to meet area requirements over the long term, including personal development. Ensure crew qualifications are kept current for required work assignments, and schedule training as required.
- Support the Manager in the development of the annual execution plan.
- Manage existing assets to ensure effective utilization while increasing reliability.
- Meet objectives and comply with; Monthly Safety plans, incident reporting process, Policy/Procedure reviews, MOC system, etc.
- Perform injury management, working with employee and health care providers to successfully return the employee to work.
- Identify and correct negative special cause circumstances that are within authority level and escalate those that are outside authority.
- Continuously improve the performance of the production frontline team through effective use of established processes and procedures. This includes ensuring the completion of assigned work with increasing consistency and accuracy by;
- Assigning tasks, utilizing CPQQRT format, to team members so that work gets done in a safe and coordinated way.
- Handle process and social problems as they occur.
- Complete improvement projects, as assigned.
- Consistently apply established policies, procedures and best practices.
- Coach & counsel Process Supervisors on the management of employee behaviors, and take corrective actions as required, including discipline and grievance management.
- Coach & counsel Process Supervisors and take corrective actions as required, including discipline.
- Provide performance feedback to team members and provide input into Succession Planning
- Provide input and work collaboratively with peers and other departments to achieve capital (as applicable), production and/or maintenance projects/schedules.
- Continually acquire knowledge and skills related to; Interaction with people, Technical capability, and Production processes.
- Ensure that there is adherence to the Power Engineers Act.
- Provide Divisional month end billing statements and facilitate plant access to Utilities billing data.
- Participates with Manager in recruitment process, training and policy & procedures review.
- Other duties, as required.
- Minimum Second Class Power Engineering certificate is required. First Class Power Engineer would be the preferred candidate.
Knowledge and Skills
- Experience in operating large Utilities facilities (power distribution, steam generation, vacuum systems, compressed air systems, water distribution systems)
- Maintenance experience – prioritize assets maintenance to ensure plant reliability
- Control room experience – monitor complex processes and coordinate critical activities
- Projects experience – plan, organize, budget and prioritize construction projects for the area of responsibility
- Supervisory experience – coordinate shift engineers and maintenance resources to ensure uninterrupted services to internal customers.