Our Public Sector client, Toronto, ON is looking to hire a Program Director for 24 months of contract role with high possibility of extension.
As a Program Director will take direction from client executive and senior management and the EPMO, this is not considered to be consulting services. The Program Director will lead multiple projects, integrated together as a “program team”. The number and type of projects that this resource supports may change over the course of their engagement.
- The Program Director will take direction from client executive and senior management and the EPMO, this is not considered to be consulting services. The Program Director will lead multiple projects, integrated together as a “program team”. The number and type of projects that this resource supports may change over the course of their engagement.
- The Program Director role will be responsible for the build and ongoing ownership of an “integrated program plan” (IPP) that includes the timelines, key milestones, integration points, risks and deliverables across a suite of projects. This plan will be informed by input from business and technology stakeholders. The IPP will then guide all project / program activities moving forward.
- The Program Director role will report directly into the Program Sponsor and will meet all program/project gating and reporting requirements, including but not limited to: status, risk, resource and budget related areas of interest. The Program Director will work closely with business and technology stakeholders to meet all program/project related reporting requirements.
- The Program Director role will maintain communication linkages and relationships internally with business / technology partners, the project management community, all levels of management and externally with vendors as required.
- The Program Director role will follow established governance and decision-making pathways and will be responsible for synthesizing complex sets of information into executive-level updates / reports, recommendations and decision points for program / project stakeholders.
- Across the program, projects teams (including project stakeholders) will report into the Program Director for the purpose of project and program delivery.
- Lead the development and implementation of enterprise wide programs and projects.
- Drive the delivery of strategic and transformational change by providing leadership and direction to assigned programs and projects.
- Develop and maintain communication linkages and relationships internally with business partners, the project management community, and all levels of management and externally with vendors as required.
- Provide technical and strategic guidance and expertise to Senior Project Managers, Project Managers and Project Analysts.
- Leading a program (group of related projects), including the integrated planning, requirements gathering, managing risks and inter dependencies, and implementation to deliver all associated projects on time, in scope and within budget.
- This includes:
- Leading the development and execution of the multi-phased and multi-year implementation plan for the program, including but not limited to the project charter, integrated project plan, risk management plan, and the governance model.
- Leading the identification, documentation, management and tracking of benefits and requirements of the program to ensure all strategic outcomes are delivered upon completion of the program. In addition, ensuring that the scope of the projects within the program align with business priorities.
- Supporting project leads and internal stakeholders to coordinate project delivery, change management and internal communication strategies through the various stages of the project that supports change at all levels of the organization and the assessment of risks, the establishment of broad mitigation plans and measures.
- Ensuring the identification, scoping and planning for any business implications across all functions in the Public Sector (including, but not limited, to business processes, Public Sector organizational structure and resourcing implications, and systems implications for various applications in operation).
- Developing resourcing strategies to ensure optimum support across the program for all projects. Addressing resourcing conflicts and escalating resourcing issues to the Executive Project Sponsor, and/or the Prioritization Working Group.
- Facilitating cross-functional Working Group meetings and fostering teamwork; driving identification, documentation, escalation and resolution of issues.
- Overseeing the creation of project artefacts and documentation to support decision making. Ensuring all necessary inputs for decisions are prepared and delivered to Steering Committee in a timely manner. Attending Steering Committee to provide updates, advice and guidance to executives to facilitate decision making.
- Working closely with senior level executives on a broad range of project issues, decision points and emerging/contentious issues. Supporting the Public Sector in the development and monitoring of project governance products and reporting requirements and facilitating discussions/negotiations to gain support and approval of key initiatives and proposals.
- Providing technical expertise in planning, execution, governance and leadership of the program.
- Identifying and addressing blockers, inefficiencies and other issues to effective program delivery.
- Supporting senior level discussions and negotiations to engage/inform senior program and cluster management in the modernization process and gaining buy in/consensus on critical decisions and deliverables.
- Overseeing the program budget, managing/escalating change requests, managing the contingency budget, as well as overseeing the cost controller(s).
- Supporting the procurement of third-party services as required, including the development of technology and business solutions. Supporting vendor relationships, including the negotiation of contracts, service level agreements and the resolution of complex functional and strategic issues and problems in order to hold vendors accountable for driving results.
- Promoting adoption and implementation of Public sector program and project management methodologies, including adherence to the enterprise gating model.
- Ensuring, when required, the review, re-engineering and enhancement of innovative operating models, business processes, systems and structures to improve service delivery and customer/client service in order to meet the growing demands of the Public Sector stakeholders.
- Provide strategic guidance to Program / Project Executive Sponsors (Chief or VP)
- Assist Project Executive Sponsors in developing their business cases, including identifying and validating business opportunities, making recommendations on approach to requesting corporate funding for projects, timing of request, etc.
- Providing guidance and ongoing coaching and feedback to project team reports
- Direct and approve the planning of human, physical and financial resource requirements to enable the effective delivery of the program
- Proactively set performance expectations and help to remove any barriers to ensure staff success
- Foster teamwork, staff development, staff engagement and a positive work environment.
- Promote and support professional development and ensure individual performance objectives are developed and employees are provided with appropriate development plans and programs
- Develop and maintain effective communications linkages and working relationships
- This includes: internally with Project Executive Sponsors, Steering Committees, Enterprise Risk Management, Finance, Procurement, Privacy, IT, HR, Legal, and other business areas, as well as externally with stakeholders and vendors as required to support successful project delivery, identify project and organizational needs, discuss and resolve issues and exchange information of mutual concern.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Knowledge of strategic program and project management theories and principles usually acquired through a recognized university degree in Business, Finance, Computer Science or another related discipline
- 10+ years of experience managing a program (group of projects) or large scale, multi-year, multi-phased transformation projects with high complexity and high risk (often with technology included, exceeding $10M in budget)
- 10+ years of experience building large multi-disciplinary teams including IT, business
- 10+ years of experience managing, working and/or negotiating with third party vendors (including RFP development / execution and contract management)
- 10+ years of building integrated program / project plans (and their respective budgets) to support the delivery of large scale, multi-phased programs/ transformation projects
- Certification in Project Management methodology, such as Project Management Professional (PMP) – PMI (preferred not mandatory)
- Certification or Prince 2 (preferred but not mandatory)
- Demonstrated strong communication skills, experienced briefing executive level audiences
- Demonstrated skills using Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience with implementation of Guidewire v7 and/or v9 – ASSET (mandatory for at least of requested resources as part of this request)
ABOUT IAN MARTIN:
Looking for Meaningful Work? We can help.
If you're a technical professional, you know that it can be difficult to find fulfilling work that advances your career. At the Ian Martin Group, we exist to connect professionals like you with meaningful work at industry-leading companies in your field. And we walk the walk, too: as a Certified B Corporation, we believe in using business as a force for good for people, our communities, and the environment.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.”