We are seeking an experienced project accountant for a 1 year contract. The company is located near Sudbury.
The Project Accounting Lead will provide a high level of stewardship and transparency over financial transactions during a complex construction project where precedents are not always clearly established. Oversight of financial activities that are required to produce timely and accurate expenditure and cash reports, while ensuring effective internal controls are in place. The incumbent will also serve as a member of the Project Management Team, responsible for project accounting, cash management, and tax compliance; contributing to strategic planning and risk management initiatives.
- Manage, lead and develop a team of professional accountants.
- Implement project accounting systems and controls to ensure that 'purchase to pay' transactions are in accordance with corporate guidelines and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). Provide expenditure and cash reports and fixed asset analysis and capitalization strategy; month end close procedures to meet corporate consolidation timelines.
- Ensure adequate internal controls are in place and appropriate documentation maintained to substantiate effective accounting processes (e.g. delegation of authority).
- Ensure that Contractor/company interface does not compromise established corporate control standards.
- Ensure effective contract invoice review procedures are implemented to detect potential overcharges; adjustments claimed in timely manner.
- Manage invoice review and release/goods receipt cycle to ensure efficient payment process; ensure taxes levied are appropriate to minimize company exposure.
- As required, participate in bid openings, pre-award meetings, and weekly project management meetings.
- Ensure effective construction site controls over assets, accruals, cost reporting; and other control procedures.
- Initiate process to monitor cash flow performance and develop cash flow forecast that provides for early identification of negative spending trends.
- Provide guidance on delegation of authority interpretation issues.
- Develop strategy to effectively transfer 'work-in-process' costs to fixed asset module. (close-out capitalization).
- Coordinate with other areas to ensure their information needs are met (Corp Accounting, Treasury (loc, fx), Tax, Insurance, Shared Services, Legal).
- Expenditure and cash payment reports compared to budgets (Capex est. $700 million).
- Month-end Finance close schedule.
- Statistics-cycle time (days) from 'proforma' invoice receipt to approved release.
- Cash variance analysis – payments compared to forecast and plan.
- Statistics – Accounts Payable invoice and i-expense claims aging reports.
- Additional duties as required.