Our midstream energy client has an immediate opening for a Project Engineer position. This position is responsible for supporting the project manager and tank coordinator during the planning, design, construction, commissioning and close-out of Tank Out-Of-Service projects within Tanks Program of our client.
Accountable for contributing to project performance (safety, quality, cost and schedule) by:
- Coordinating engineering design consultants and/or contractors as assigned by the project manager to meet project scope, schedule and quality requirements.
- Guiding the engineering process from the owner perspective to anticipate design problems, ensure technical work is appropriately scheduled and contribute to the solution of technical problems.
- Facilitating communication between engineering consultants, contractors, vendors and appropriate internal stakeholders to ensure technical issues are addressed.
- Ensuring engineering deliverables are provided that meet project schedule, cost and quality requirements.
- Facilitating resolution of technical issues quickly through the use of lessons learned on prior projects, individual technical knowledge, consultation with company Subject Matter Experts, and peer consultation to obtain practical, technically sound and fit for purpose designs.
- Ensuring that documents that meet project schedule and quality constraints are prepared to support regulatory, environmental and permitting applications.
- Coordinating with Supply Chain Management to ensure materials are ordered that meet project schedule, cost and quality requirements.
- Supporting field construction by obtaining timely responses to Requests for Information submitted by the construction contractor.
- Effectively managing change to the engineering scope of work for the project.
- Preparing documents as directed by the project manager to meet project management and gating requirements.
- Supporting long range planning during preparation of project proposals and estimates.
- Support program improvement initiatives from time to time and as required.
- Accepting other engineering and project related assignments as needed by the project manager or department management.
- Works on projects in the Tanks Program, with projects ranging in size from $5MM to $12MM and from 6 to 15 months in duration.
- Successful candidate must be self-directed, collaborative and able to communicate effectively with a track record of obtaining results in a fast paced environment.
- Successful candidate supports projects from planning stages through detailed design, construction, commissioning and close out.
- Successful candidate will strive to be innovative and look for cost efficiencies where possible as all projects are cost driven.
- Works directly with Project Managers, Tank Coordinators and/or the Supervisor of Tanks Program.
- Supports project managers in day to day management of the project as described in the specific accountabilities.
- Works with internal stakeholder groups and service.Works with external engineering consultants, construction contractors and other 3rd party service providers such as geotechnical engineering firms, surveyors and cathodic protection consultants as required.
- Travel up to 25% to locations across Canada.
- Works as part of the project management team in a fast paced environment.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Completion of an Engineering Degree from a recognized post-secondary school
- Currently or eligible to be registered as a professional engineer with APEGA
- A minimum of 4 years of progressively responsible project experience. Multiple, concurrent projects would be considered an asset.
- Experience reviewing or preparing DBM, FEED, detailed engineering and construction planning deliverables.
- Experience with projects within existing “brownfield’ facilities.
- Experience with oil and gas EPC firms or experience working with engineering consultants, surveyors, geotechnical engineering firms.
- Experience providing technical support during construction.
- Valid Class 5 driving license with minimum (4) years driving experience.
- Willingness to travel to the field as needed during construction
- Reports to Supervisor Tanks OOS.
- Works with and supports project managers and tank coordinators on a daily basis. Assignments are adjusted to support work load and schedule